• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So is the war in Afganistan over then?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is the war in Afganistan over then?

Remind me what the goal was there? Its been 10 years now.
    Surely the best use of American resources is to support the nascent revolutions in the Arab world, rather than prosecute unwinnable wars?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Wasn't Afghanistan originally some sort of British-created war-zone buffer to deter the Russian Empire (pre-Soviet Union) from taking what was rightfully ours - ie India?

And it's been ungovernable since.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Surely the best use of American resources is to support the nascent revolutions in the Arab world, rather than prosecute unwinnable wars?
      The war was not just about catching Osama, it was about turning Afghanistan into a democratic country which would be less hospitable to terrorists.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        ...it was about turning Afghanistan into a democratic country which would be less hospitable to terrorists.

And the evidence that this is, or was, at all possible is, or was, what?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

It ain't over until Hilary sings
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Takes me back to those giddy optimistic days when it all started.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              The war was not just about catching Osama, it was about turning Afghanistan into a democratic country which would be less hospitable to terrorists.
              And womans rights, although I think that was shelved
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

And the evidence that this is, or was, at all possible is, or was, what?
                Sounded good at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  P.S. The Afghans "won" every war. If that's how you define winning.
                  Well, all invaders either died there or chosen to withdraw - even Alexander the Great failed to win that war.

Comment

The real reason the yanks have stuck it out in Afghanistan when it's been apparent Osama was more likely to be in Pakistan, or at least the mountain region seperating the two, is so Obama can strut around the White House like Tony Montana.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X