• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London doom -

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London doom -

I think the LSE better close again. FTSE keeps going in the wrong direction. Help! It's like watching a train crash in slow motion.

The £ has taking a walloping against the euro today, 0.89919, come on 0.9 you can do it!

The US is seeking more time to extend it's massive debt

Across the pond:
    UK manufacturing growth slows in April

UK retail sales 'sluggish' despite slight April rise

Yeah, that's what I call a rebound guys!

Meanwhile:

Kaboom - Germany and France powered ahead in April

Interestingly, talking to a German colleague last night we got into a real good debate. What really interested me, and to quote him, 'even if the euro did not exist, we'd still bail out Greece and Ireland and what's the other one?'

Why? Varoom? I asked, because it's in our long term interest. Gosh I feel like I'm from such a failed state.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    because it's in our long term interest.
    Sometimes it seems like we haven't had that sort of thinking in the UK since the 50s or 60s.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I think the LSE better close again. FTSE keeps going in the wrong direction. Help! It's like watching a train crash in slow motion.

The £ has taking a walloping against the euro today, 0.89919, come on 0.9 you can do it!

The US is seeking more time to extend it's massive debt

Across the pond:
      UK manufacturing growth slows in April

UK retail sales 'sluggish' despite slight April rise

Yeah, that's what I call a rebound guys!

Meanwhile:

Kaboom - Germany and France powered ahead in April

Interestingly, talking to a German colleague last night we got into a real good debate. What really interested me, and to quote him, 'even if the euro did not exist, we'd still bail out Greece and Ireland and what's the other one?'

Why? Varoom? I asked, because it's in our long term interest. Gosh I feel like I'm from such a failed state.
      The euro has failed because the Germans used it to take away the competitive edge that the mediterranean economies had when their currencies were weak. The imposition of the Euro meant that costs to european manufacturing would rise thus keeping German products competitive. the whole thing has backfired because the failed nations cannot use their currencies to help them to produce at lower prices. Nor can they use interest rates to control demand in the housing markets and other inflationary pressures. So the germans have now got a bloody nose and deservedly so.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        The euro has failed because the Germans used it to take away the competitive edge that the mediterranean economies had when their currencies were weak. The imposition of the Euro meant that costs to european manufacturing would rise thus keeping German products competitive. the whole thing has backfired because the failed nations cannot use their currencies to help them to produce at lower prices. Nor can they use interest rates to control demand in the housing markets and other inflationary pressures. So the germans have now got a bloody nose and deservedly so.
        What you call failure I call success. This is not a thread about currency, even so why is failure being rewarded with growth & stability?

The PIG's ran pyramid schemes, that is why they've have failed, that is why they've lost some of their sovereignty. The politicians of those countries should be held ultimately responsible not the currency. Printing cash is what happens when no other options exist, some edge. The single currency, as long as it does not fail (which is what you hope for) shall forge change throughout the EU. If it survives that process that's not the kind of competition the UK needs on it's doorstep. We need to wake up to that possibility quick smart.
        Last edited by scooterscot; 3 May 2011, 20:17.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What you call failure I call success. This is not a thread about currency, even so why is failure being rewarded with growth & stability?

The PIG's ran pyramid schemes, that is why they've have failed, that is why they've lost some of their sovereignty. The politicians of those countries should be held ultimately responsible not the currency. Printing cash is what happens when no other options exist, some edge. The single currency, as long as it does not fail (which is what you hope for) shall forge change throughout the EU. If it survives that process that's not the kind of competition the UK needs on it's doorstep. We need to wake up to that possibility quick smart.
          we will see
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

The Mediterranean economies never had a competitive edge.

Italy was molto ****edo before the Euro made it possible for tourists to get a whole days worth of spending money in a single wallet, although I do miss the days of going to the cashpoint and coming away a millionaire. The Italians do have their act together when it comes to engineering, high tech and design and once they sort the Mafia and comedy politics out they will be sitting at the top table.

Greece never made anything except feta cheese and olives. They will be a bit ****ed whatever money they use.

Portugal and to a lesser extent Spain have benefitted from the Euro, quite a lot of stuff is made there now, but there is only so much you can do with people who insist lunch takes 3 hours and should be followed by a nap.

Ireland's emerged post Euro as a great place for American companies to set up shop because of the extensive EU subsidies and the fact they all spoke English. They do drink a lot though.

The UK is just as ****ed as any of these places, it just hasn't hit rock bottom yet.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Is Europe destined to end up like South America?
              Cats are evil.

Comment

The euro has failed

Euro has become the only second reserve currency that managed to rival USD.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  Is Europe destined to end up like South America?
                  What booming like Brazil you mean?

Comment

Rolls-Royce and Mini owner BMW sees profits quadruple

I'm glad the UK offloaded / sold / disregarded those brands -

BBC News - Rolls-Royce and Mini owner BMW sees profits quadruple

Comment

Working...
                    X