• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C4 Bouncing Bomb Prog on Monday.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C4 Bouncing Bomb Prog on Monday.

Nary a mention of Guy Gibson's dog.

Another classic quote from the Canadian pilot of the DC3 they were using:

Originally posted by Candadian DC3 Pilot
    You can't make honey from dogtulip

I was rather impressed that they managed to hit the (simulated one third scale) dam with the bouncing bomb thingie at the first attempt.

In fact, it nearly knocked a hole through the dam simply from its impact.

The explosive bit was good though.

I like explosions.

There was also footage of what happens when you drop the bomb at too low an altitude.

The splash knocks the tail off the aircraft & it piles into the terrain at 200 knots.

Not survivable.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 28 April 2017, 14:10.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Nary a mention of Guy Gibson's dog.
    The new Dambusters film should be out soon.

(Apparently in that the dog will be called Niggles)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

That story is from 2009 and I don't think much progress has been made. Stephen Fry is writing the screenplay, with the Guy Gibson played by Tom Cruise and the Lancasters replaced with Flying Fortresses.

Comment

And it wasn't a bomb, it was technically a mine!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

That story is from 2009 and I don't think much progress has been made. Stephen Fry is writing the screenplay, with the Guy Gibson played by Tom Cruise and the Lancasters replaced with Flying Fortresses.
          If Eddie Murphy played Gibson, they wouldn't have to worry what he called his dog
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If Eddie Murphy played Gibson, they wouldn't have to worry what he called his dog
            Scary Spice?
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Do the yanks drop the bombs in the remake ?
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

i liked the remake

i bet he drinks carling black lable

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  I'd forgotten that advert, it was brilliant (even if the beer is awful) thanks for the link

I watched the Dambusters film on Sky recently and they hadn't mutilated the film by changing the dogs name. No matter how much the political correctness loonies hate it it's a matter of history that Gibson had a black labrador that by today's standards has an unacceptable name.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    In fact, it nearly knocked a hole through the dam simply from its impact.

The point was to time it so the bouncing mine didn't slam into the dam, but instead stopped gently so it rolled down the side of the dam to the explosion depth, otherwise the risk was it would rebound too far away for the explosion to make the necessary impact.

They said their slam-bomb also rolled down the side due to the reverse spin, but they may have just made that up to redeem themselves, seeing as the explosion was a set piece nothing to do with the bouncing bit.

Interesting seeing it all unfold though. Makes a change from the usual crap on TV.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X