• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What the climate scientists said in 1975

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the climate scientists said in 1975

It's always interesting to see how scientists develop their views over time.

Climate scientists views in 1975

One wonders what they maybe saying in 10 or 20 years from now.
    I'm alright Jack

You sound like a broken record Blaster.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      I understand where he is coming from though.
      Its like living in the middle of the argument between Gallileo and the church

It's big stuff AtW, imho.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        That's rich considering just how many SKA/my lunch/<placeholder> threads you spawned.

On topic I'm sure the counter argument will be that now there are satellites and loads of ice core data samples that the cooling assertion was poor science based on wonky data, how valid that will turn out to be in 30-40 years time is a matter of debate.
        I've yet to see convincing evidence that the current climate trends are anything other than natural fluctuations which have happened many times in the past.

Comment

Except the church were criticised for not adapting their view, whereas the AGW folk are being criticised here for changing what they think. No doubt if they had been resolute all these years, BB would find that equally damning.

The point is, BB doesn't add anything more than those who support AGW arguments do by just re-posting the same things every 5minutes. We're aware what he thinks, we're not going to forget if not reminded 10 times a day.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Except the church were criticised for not adapting their view, whereas the AGW folk are being criticised here for changing what they think. No doubt if they had been resolute all these years, BB would find that equally damning.

The point is, BB doesn't add anything more than those who support AGW arguments do by just re-posting the same things every 5minutes. We're aware what he thinks, we're not going to forget if not reminded 10 times a day.
            not at all. the church were criticised for defending a positon in the face of glaring facts that proved the opposite. They used every dirty trick in the book to deny the truth and to suppress it. I think the parallel is exact.

And BB is not trying to convert the diehards or sing to the choir, he is trying to persuade the floaters. which is what pj is doing , so that ok by me

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              persuade the floaters
              I find putting an big wodge of paper on top before flushing helps to persuade them the round the bend.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

That's a Newsweek editorial piece, hardly a survey of scientific opinion or literature. However a survey of climate scientific opinion of that time has been done - it even mentioned the Newsweek piece - and published in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. It concluded:

There was no scientific consensus in the 1970s that the Earth was headed into an imminent ice age. Indeed, the possibility of anthropogenic warming dominated the peer-reviewed literature even then.
                and

During the period from 1965 through 1979, our literature survey found 7 cooling, 20 neutral, and 44 warming papers.

Didn't we do this one already?
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  It's always interesting to see how scientists develop their views over time.

Climate scientists views in 1975

One wonders what they maybe saying in 10 or 20 years from now.
                  They'll be too pissed on Scottish champagne from their personal vineyards to be worrying too much.

Comment

Yeah -thought so.

Oh, and if the cold UK weather last December was so significant, what are we to make of the warmest April on record?
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                    X