• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the 'best' iPhone apps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 'best' iPhone apps

Hi all

I made a deal with myself - on the grounds that I am basically a skinflint - that I would not buy any apps for my iPhone (even 59p ones) - I would stick to the freebies.

There are thousands of free apps, some good, some bad and some very bad, but I'm just wondering whether I'm missing out on anything by adopting this stance. I don't really play games, I'm more into 'useful apps' or utilities etc.

So, what are your recommendations for must-have apps?
    What could you not now do without?
    What in your opinion is the best value?

What app is best will really depend on what you use your iphone for

The app I use the most is a game called Settlers of Catan which is not a freebie but I get value from it, after that it’s a conversion app that is great for at work & home as it does distance weight etc..
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

You can't be that much of a skinflint if you decided to get an iphone
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I use an android.

Comment

I find the national rail, tube deluxe and London cycle apps invaluable.

Obviously a bit London centric!
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Just spent £9.99 on Final Fantasy III

Thats a fookin lot of money for an app but you get an absolutely monster game so its actually a bargain considering it is better than most of the £40+ titles available on the consoles.

Other big purchase was LogMeIn Ignition, again, expensive yet invaluable.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              You can't be that much of a skinflint if you decided to get an iphone
              ....or a computer to use this forum.

Comment

So, let me get it right - you are "skint", but you buy expensive phone (even when "free"), you are tied to heavy subscription and yet you won't pay equivalent of a Mars bar from vending machine to starving developers out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                  Just spent £9.99 on Final Fantasy III

Thats a fookin lot of money for an app but you get an absolutely monster game so its actually a bargain considering it is better than most of the £40+ titles available on the consoles.

Other big purchase was LogMeIn Ignition, again, expensive yet invaluable.
                  What better than Final Fantasy on the Xbox with triple core processor, dedicated GFX, 1080P, digital surround sound and a proper controller?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    What better than Final Fantasy on the Xbox with triple core processor, dedicated GFX, 1080P, digital surround sound and a proper controller?
                    No, better than most other games that aren't Final Fantasy (although the control system they've added for the Iphone port is pretty sweet).

Comment

Working...
                    X