• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - are child care payments salary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 - are child care payments salary?

Assume all contract income is IR35-caught, no employment contract and salary below minimum wage. Currently, apart from low salary, pension contributions are used to offset remainder of potential IR35 liability.

If the company pays £243 a month for childcare to a nursery, can that payment be counted towards the goal of paying 95% of caught income as salary, expenses or pension?

(I have spent two hours searching this site and the internet and not found the answer. I did find a very old post on the internet that said the answer was different for NI than for tax, and that you had to do the deemed payment calculation twice!)

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    Assume all contract income is IR35-caught, no employment contract and salary below minimum wage. Currently, apart from low salary, pension contributions are used to offset remainder of potential IR35 liability.

If the company pays £243 a month for childcare to a nursery, can that payment be counted towards the goal of paying 95% of caught income as salary, expenses or pension?

(I have spent two hours searching this site and the internet and not found the answer. I did find a very old post on the internet that said the answer was different for NI than for tax, and that you had to do the deemed payment calculation twice!)
    Would a better method not be to use the Childcare Vouchers Scheme, this would then be a BiK so I assume would count towards the 95% with the added bonus of the tax relief so you still get to screw hector just a tiny bit
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Would a better method not be to use the Childcare Vouchers Scheme, this would then be a BiK so I assume would count towards the 95% with the added bonus of the tax relief so you still get to screw hector just a tiny bit
      You don't need to use a Childcare Voucher scheme as long as the payment goes direct from the Limited company bank account to the provider - buying vouchers just means you're paying admin fees when you don't need to. From HMRC:

Commercial childcare and childminders
      Definitions or restrictions:
      You provide childcare support to your employees by contracting directly with a childcare provider - such as a commercial nursery or a childminder.

What to report, what to pay – up to £55 per week (£243 per month)
      The first £55 per week is exempt from tax and NICs for all employees and doesn't need to be reported to HMRC, provided all the following conditions are met:

•the childcare has the appropriate registrations and approvals
      •the childcare is available to all of your employees
      •the children cared for are your employees' children, or children for whom your employees have parental responsibility
      •the childcare covers up to the end of the week containing 1 September following each child's 15th birthday (16th birthday for children with a disability)
      What to report, what to pay – above £55 per week (£243 per month)
      For employees earning at a rate of less than £8,500 per year, you have:

•no reporting requirements
      •no tax or NICs to pay
      For company directors and employees earning at a rate of £8,500 or more per year:

•report the amount above £55 on form P11D - section M
      •pay Class 1A NICs on the amount above £55 per week

HM Revenue & Customs: Childcare

From an IR35 point of view the cost is allowable, but I'm still looking for a link that verifies.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I'm planning to take the childcare out of the 95%, if anyone thinks it should come out of the 5%, let me know.

Comment

Working...
        X