PDA

View Full Version : Daily rates - do you insist on a max hours per day?

psychocandy
4th May 2011, 19:11

Wanderer
4th May 2011, 20:09
Mostly I'm paid a shed load of money so I just do the "professional day" thing. :smokin I'm not going to piss them off by being a clock watcher, I'll do the extra hours when needed and then claw it back in flexitime. If something kicks off then I'll stay late to fix it and expect a bit of goodwill from the client.

I know some clients will try to take the piss, that's part of doing business. If it's happening all the time then I'd have a word with them and come to some arrangement. If they won't work something out then I'd find a new job.

Spacecadet
4th May 2011, 20:22
Mostly I'm paid a shed load of money so I just do the "professional day" thing. :smokin I'm not going to piss them off by being a clock watcher, I'll do the extra hours when needed and then claw it back in flexitime. If something kicks off then I'll stay late to fix it and expect a bit of goodwill from the client.

I know some clients will try to take the piss, that's part of doing business. If it's happening all the time then I'd have a word with them and come to some arrangement. If they won't work something out then I'd find a new job.

WHS

When you're charging hundreds of pounds per day you don't want to come across as a whiner.

psychocandy
4th May 2011, 22:04

Yeh. I agree with you on all of this.

However, not experienced personally but heard some horror stories of clients really taking the piss expecting 11-12 hours EVERY DAY.

Ignis Fatuus
5th May 2011, 06:22
I know some clients will try to take the piss, that's part of doing business. If it's happening all the time then I'd have a word with them and come to some arrangement. If they won't work something out then I'd find a new job.That last phrase is an essential part of contracting.

russell
5th May 2011, 06:25
Your contract should state how many hours you are required to do a week. Divide that by 5 and do those hours, if your feeling charitable then go ahead and do extra hours. All this talk about being paid hundreds a day therefore you should work extra is bullshit, you are paid that because of the value you bring.

Spacecadet
5th May 2011, 09:19
Your contract should state how many hours you are required to do a week. Divide that by 5 and do those hours, if your feeling charitable then go ahead and do extra hours. All this talk about being paid hundreds a day therefore you should work extra is bulltulip, you are paid that because of the value you bring.

Not having to work extra but if an extra 30 minutes is needed to get something finished you don't want to be sat there tapping your £1000 watch saying !I don't think so"!

Ignis Fatuus
5th May 2011, 09:27
Your contract should state how many hours you are required to do a week. ...."Should"? That's the question: if it doesn't (which it usually doesn't), what do you do about it?

russell
5th May 2011, 09:49
Not having to work extra but if an extra 30 minutes is needed to get something finished you don't want to be sat there tapping your £1000 watch saying !I don't think so"!

Of course I will stay all night if there is deadline and its my responsibility, however I would take time off when there was less pressure, if not paid for it.

russell
5th May 2011, 09:53
"Should"? That's the question: if it doesn't (which it usually doesn't), what do you do about it?

Ive never had a contract that doesn't state the weekly hours. I would find it extremely strange if that was missing.

psychocandy
12th May 2011, 10:01
Ah. I see. I last contracted 12 years and it was all hourly rate then so no problems at all.

I notice its all pretty much daily rate and I was under the impression that this meant there were no hours listed in the contract at all.

amcdonald
12th May 2011, 12:49
I'm on a daily rate, it just lists a minimum of 7 hrs a day. With any overtime to be agreed with client manager and paid pro rata basd on a 7 hr day

MarillionFan
12th May 2011, 12:49
I have the definition of the working day added into the contract.