• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New chip design by Intel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New chip design by Intel

Intel unveils new ‘3D’ chips - Telegraph

What do you think?

Is this the revolution that will make our smart phones able to hold a charge of a full day?

Or will it just accelerate the pr0n viewing?
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

If you accelerate you wouldn't be able to see what was going on as clearly.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
      Intel unveils new ‘3D’ chips - Telegraph

What do you think?

Is this the revolution that will make our smart phones able to hold a charge of a full day?

Or will it just accelerate the pr0n viewing?
      It depends how the engineers decide to apply it. Intel generally makes quite heavyweight chips, and their smartphone products are still using the 45nm process AFAIK, so it could be a while before it turns up in that market.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

ok - so it will mostly benefit the geeks sitting in their mothers basement bedroom playing World of Warcraft?

Comment

BBC 'Click' did a piece on this, Intel have moved in that direction because that’s what the market wants, ARM and Quallcomm have been developing low power chips for the past 20 years.

Intel has some catching up to do.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Intel & Low Power.

That's something else that doesn't compute.
            Apart from the chips they've been throwing out the last couple of years for laptops. Also the Atom is used in lots of mobile devices.

Comment

Why cant phones have solar and kinetic stuff to make them charge during the day?

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                Why cant phones have solar and kinetic stuff to make them charge during the day?
                It would not work for me anyway - I sit still all day long in an office - no sunlight - no movement

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Snot really low power though is it?

It's just low power compared with the rest of the electric fires they make.
                  Is power consumption so important?

For my personally it does not mean much, my desktop has a 1000W PSU but it only runs when I use it - and the laptops that are on 24/7 surely does not use that much when they do close to nothing.

Comment

Leave a laptop turned on doing nothing but without auto-standby turned on. How long does it last?
                    Leave your phone turned on, how long?

If you actually use a laptop without access to a power outlet, it is a big deal. My laptop can't survive use on a flight to LA for instance, maybe not even New York. It can just survive a train to London (3hrs) but trains these days often have power supplies which is wonderful.

By contrast I took my Kindle to Dubai for two weeks and read maybe 1-2 hours per day. When I returned home the battery was still at 75%.

Comment

Working...
                    X