• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Dilema!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Dilema!

OK so I am in a fortunate position to have been offered two contracts in as many weeks both of which very close to each other but still 90 mins commute away. Although this second one has come out of the blue I am really chuffed but having trouble decide.

Both are large Clients that are well established globally so the future is bright with both. Here is the scenario;

Client A: V good day rate circa £100 more than current, plus they will cover my fuel and provide accomodation nearby, 12 month "rolling contract" as a project engineer working for an Oil & Gas service company.

Client B: Better day rate by another £50, working for an operator (won't say who but for example Shell). No accomodation offered or fuel expenses but I know they are desperate to fill the post so might have leverage to push the agent. This for a particular project estimated to take 24 months that ordinarily I do not think I would have got this position.

Now the way I see things because client A is offering a benefit that a staff memeber would typically rceive then this is no good from an IR35 perspective and I should not use it. Similarly the 'rolling' bit does not give me the warm and fuzzy feeling re IR35.

However the extra day rate offered by client B more than covers any fuel costs. In addition a succesful completion could open many more doors for the future therefore I am leaning towards client B.

If it were you then what would you choose?

PS - both Clients want me to start asap but I still have roughly 8 weeks remaining on my current contract extension.

Thanks in advance.

B

hth
    tl

Comment

Go with your gut feel as both very similar roles from what you say.

hth
      k78

Comment

Working...
      X