• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One in three Africans is now middle class

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I never

I don't think most of northern England can boast such statistics
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Kinda begs the question....why are they still coming here then?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      Kinda begs the question....why are they still coming here then?
      "Middle" is a relative term.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        "Middle Class" is a relative term.

"Middle" is an equal distance from the extremities of something.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          "Middle" is an equal distance from the extremities of something.
          How about Middle Ages?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            That's those three accounted for.

What about the other 999,999,997 Africans, are any of them middle class too?

I was sure I'd logged out. :puzzled:
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Doesn't seem to fit with various other Guardian articles.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

or our overseas aid bills.

When I went to Joburg & Midrand 3 years ago most of the 'middle class' jobs were taken by whites. I doubt that has changed that much. So its probably white middle class despite the picture.

e.g.
                MD,Accountant, Sales, Engineers = white
                Admin = Black.

Investment in the country has risen dramatically (we provide electrical equipment and 3 years ago we couldn't ship there fast enough).
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  or our overseas aid bills.

When I went to Joburg & Midrand 3 years ago most of the 'middle class' jobs were taken by whites. I doubt that has changed that much. So its probably white middle class despite the picture.

e.g.
                  MD,Accountant, Sales, Engineers = white
                  Admin = Black.

Investment in the country has risen dramatically (we provide electrical equipment and 3 years ago we couldn't ship there fast enough).
                  So a state that, until around twenty years ago, actively imposed underclass status on its black citizens so as to benefit its white citizens turns out to have more well-to-do whites than blacks? Bit of a turn up for the books, isn't it.

Anyway, that's around 1/25th of the continent (by area) addressed from a position of authority. How did you find things in the other 96% of it?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    From the article:

Ncube said the study used an absolute definition of middle class, meaning people who spend between $2 and $20 a day, which he believed was appropriate given the cost of living for Africa's nearly 1 billion people.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X