• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your new computer: a few inches long, $25

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your new computer: a few inches long, $25

It may not be for you (although it is more powerful than 99% of desktop PC installations actually require) but here it is: the $25 USB stick computer

It's the brainchild of David Braben; he's one of the guys (the other being Ian Bell) who fitted the original version of Elite into a 32K BBC Micro, and his goal is to make it easier for young people in poorer regions of the world to have access to a full-blown computer. They will be distributed around the world through a new charity, the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

No word yet on an Elite port, but it's an ARM processor with OpenGL ES 2.0 support (same as the iPhone 3GS) so that shouldn't be too hard

WOW.
    That is impressive.
    And a very good idea.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      It may not be for you (although it is more powerful than 99% of desktop PC installations actually require) but here it is: the $25 USB stick computer

It's the brainchild of David Braben; he's one of the guys (the other being Ian Bell) who fitted the original version of Elite into a 32K BBC Micro, and his goal is to make it easier for young people in poorer regions of the world to have access to a full-blown computer. They will be distributed around the world through a new charity, the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

No word yet on an Elite port, but it's an ARM processor with OpenGL ES 2.0 support (same as the iPhone 3GS) so that shouldn't be too hard
      The only barrier being that the lucky recipient must have an HDMI enabled TV (cost circa £399) and an HDMI cable (cost circa £15).
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

They had a bit of a tiff as I recall

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          The only barrier being that the lucky recipient must have an HDMI enabled TV (cost circa £399) and an HDMI cable (cost circa £15).

Yeah, they should have put an old VGA connector on the end, then all those CRT monitors that are going to landfill could be offered for free with these.

I've often thought that the desktop computer would end this sort of size anyway. Just a small box that communicates via wireless to kvm and optical drive, or a universal connector to a hub in the interim.

Maybe the evolution of mobile phones will take us to that point anyway pretty soon.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Very interesting. I wish they could make NMT devices small.

Ah Elite, the game that seduced me to the Dark side...
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. Great idea undermined by "let them eat cake" syndrome.

Comment

you not been to a council house recently?

Bigger screen than my paltry 50".

Flog them at £30 and subsidise the free ones
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

£15 for a cable, they saw you coming.

Also, can't you get HDMI->VGA converters for a fiver? I agree that HDMI is a bit of boo-boo though.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    £15 for a cable, they saw you coming.

Also, can't you get HDMI->VGA converters for a fiver? I agree that HDMI is a bit of boo-boo though.
                    HDMI to VGA and 3 RCA Audio Video AV Adapter Cable 5ft, Britain - DinoDirect.com

Comment

Working...
                    X