PDA

View Full Version : Giving client a 'gift' when leaving the contract

ChimpMaster
6th May 2011, 11:44
I've never done this myself (I'm probably not capable) but always thought about those technical experts that have somehow managed to sneak code into clients' systems to pull off some elaborate scam.

Have you ever left clients with a 'gift' that will be discovered at some point in the not too distant future? Perhaps a code-bomb, or removing source code from the repository, or something that makes them think "damn we need this guy!" ?

(I'm not feeling creative today so can't think of any more...).

russell
6th May 2011, 11:48
I've never done this myself (I'm probably not capable) but always thought about those technical experts that have somehow managed to sneak code into clients' systems to pull off some elaborate scam.

Have you ever left clients with a 'gift' that will be discovered at some point in the not too distant future? Perhaps a code-bomb, or removing source code from the repository, or something that makes them think "damn we need this guy!" ?

Your work and professionalism should be enough to make the client want to keep you, a bottle of wine isn't going to change that.

gingerjedi
6th May 2011, 11:49

Salami slicing?

ThomasSoerensen
6th May 2011, 11:50
Your work and professionalism should be enough to make the client want to keep you, a bottle of wine isn't going to change that.

Did you even READ the original post?

Are you capable of doing that?

Are you capable of reading this?

If so, FOAD.

russell
6th May 2011, 11:52

If so, FOAD.

Are all Dutch people as irritating as you?

ChimpMaster
6th May 2011, 12:00

Who's this new a-hole and why hasn't he been banned yet?

Anyway keep the thread on topic please.

ThomasSoerensen
6th May 2011, 12:01

Yes.

Are all people named Russell as ignorant as you?

ThomasSoerensen
6th May 2011, 12:02

This is General, what is this "on topic" you speak of?

thunderlizard
Once I assigned the tooltip "Punk's not dead!" to one of the controls in a data entry form.

See, I used to be fun.

russell

Some dutch guy.

HTH

russell
6th May 2011, 12:04
Yes.

Ignorant LOL, like a Creationist accusing Dawkins of being ignorant.

ThomasSoerensen
6th May 2011, 12:12

I believe a piece of cod left behind a radiator is the standard "gift".

Old Greg
6th May 2011, 12:13

I left a little back door into the agents' Dutch Antillean Black- and Grey-lists of that counts. Other than that, I just leave a little present in the toilet on my last day.

ThomasSoerensen
6th May 2011, 12:16
I left a little back door into the agents' Dutch Antillean Black- and Grey-lists of that counts. Other than that, I just leave a little present in the toilet on my last day.

I'm sure you are just talking about a "potential support connection" that is required for you to continue support if requested by the esteemed client co.

pmeswani
6th May 2011, 12:16

You could do one or more of the following:

Upload the entire code to a public SVN repository.
Put in some code that gives you back-door access to their network so that you can perform some anonymous Denial of Service Attack.
Set some code to change your screensaver to different pictures of Pammy Anderson on an hourly / daily basis.
Put a screensaver that says "I was on Contractoruk.com all day long" (Or you could put that into some form of code if you want!).
Leave a smelly unwashed pants / socks behind a hot radiator.
Leave a condom on a hot lady's desk, and tell her that you will meet her tonigh.

Will that do?

thunderlizard
6th May 2011, 12:23
Upload the entire code to a public SVN repository.

I'm sure that would do less damage than most clients assume it would.

"First, you must sign this NDA. For if the 25 lines of SQL that generate our This Month's Top Performing Biscuit Salesmen Report fell into the wrong hands, Jacobs' Biscuits' competitive edge would be lost forever!"

pmeswani
6th May 2011, 12:25
I'm sure that would do less damage than most clients assume it would.

"First, you must sign this NDA. For if the 25 lines of SQL that generate our This Month's Top Performing Biscuit Salesmen Report fell into the wrong hands, Jacobs' Biscuits' competitive edge would be lost forever!"

Until they realise that the real code that was uploaded was for a new product launch that they spent £5 million on which could generate £200 million in revenue. (Ok, made up figures, I think you know what I mean).

thunderlizard
6th May 2011, 12:28
Well obviously, for a software company that made money out of its software, that would be a risk. What I mean is that most companies have security policies to keep their data a secret - which is fair enough - and also apply them to their in-house software code, which probably isn't worth a hill of beans to anybody but themselves.

Even so, the source code for Windows got leaked to the internet a few years ago, and I'd be surprised if Microsoft lost a penny over it.

ThomasSoerensen
6th May 2011, 13:45
What?

And change the habits of a lifetime?:eek

WZGS

d000hg
6th May 2011, 13:46
Yes.

Are all people named Russell as ignorant as you?People named Russell typically have a moustache and blow-dried hair (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_(The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy)#R ussell).

NotAllThere
6th May 2011, 14:13

Yes.

<mod>
:ladybags: is only permitted if it's amusing. Please desist.
</mod>

ThomasSoerensen
6th May 2011, 14:32
<mod>
</mod>

I was just puzzled about what Russell has against Dutch people.

I don't know any Dutch people so I had to gamble when responding.

ThomasSoerensen
6th May 2011, 14:50
Maybe he got frightened by a pair of clogs.

Or some tulips.

We can only speculate about what scares sockies. Washing machines? Trash bins?

Clippy
6th May 2011, 14:52
I was just puzzled about what Russell has against Dutch people.

I don't know any Dutch people so I had to gamble when responding.

Hmm....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ882QYzr-M

cailin maith
6th May 2011, 15:21

Mods who can ban them?

Spacecadet
6th May 2011, 15:22
Mods who can ban them?

How can death scare that which does not exist?

cailin maith
6th May 2011, 15:24
How can death scare that which does not exist?

Profound.

I like it.

russell
6th May 2011, 16:02

Well we know you aren't a sockie, anyone who uses his full name as a username can only be a moron.

xoggoth
6th May 2011, 16:11
Don't fly on an Airbus. I used to work on the control software and the engines will cut out if the rear starboard toilet runs out of bog paper.

d000hg
6th May 2011, 16:38
<mod>
</mod>Please make sure you ban the right one. A real prick is better than a pretend one (just ask MP).

ChimpMaster
6th May 2011, 17:40
So from the sounds of it none of you have done anything that, well, could count as an act of war.

I was thinking about giving the Offshore team something to think about. Like mismatching the production code with the source code, but really Bob wouldn't have a clue either way so it's just a waste of my time.

I reckon they'll suffer enough once I've gone anyway. Or so I'd like to think anyway.

TykeMerc
6th May 2011, 17:42
<mod>
</mod>

NAT, Russell is clearly (has been an obvious one from day 1) a sockie troll, why not just consign the ID to the banned bin and have done?

russell
6th May 2011, 18:47
NAT, Russell is clearly (has been an obvious one from day 1), why not just consign the ID to the banned bin and have done?

Teacher, Teacher he hit me waaaaa I want my mummyyy waaaaaa. :winker:

Clearly jealous because I have started lots of interesting, topical replied to threads and haven't been here long. Whereas the majority of your offerings have been crying to mods accusing everyone of being sockies and trolls.

amcdonald
6th May 2011, 19:00
Mods who can ban them?

Phil Daniels ?

TykeMerc
6th May 2011, 19:24
Teacher, Teacher he hit me waaaaa I want my mummyyy waaaaaa. :winker:

Clearly jealous because I have started lots of interesting, topical replied to threads and haven't been here long. Whereas the majority of your offerings have been crying to mods accusing everyone of being sockies and trolls.

Curious as a "newcomer" you wouldn't know that, but one banned poster in the recent past made the same accusation.
Plus the claims that you start numerous interesting threads, plus the noticeable spelling style appearing recently all adds up to a remarkable similarity to Kandr...

russell
6th May 2011, 19:30
Curious as a "newcomer" you wouldn't know that, but one banned poster in the recent past made the same accusation.
Plus the claims that you start numerous interesting threads, plus the noticeable spelling style appearing recently all adds up to a remarkable similarity to Kandr...

Its all you have said is response to any of my posts. Anyway im out for the weekend. Bye

Old Greg
6th May 2011, 19:31
Well we know you aren't a sockie, anyone who uses his full name as a username can only be a moron.

In a few years you will have passed enough developmental milestones to watch a big girl telly programme called Charlie and Lola. Until them you'll have to continue making an ass out of u and umption.

TykeMerc
6th May 2011, 19:35
Its all you have said is response to any of my posts. Anyway im out for the weekend. Bye

I object to trolling sockpuppets, simple really.

d000hg
6th May 2011, 20:02

You beat me to it. Little doubt, I'm sure he'll be banned soon but hopefully not until we see what the next rep-level is.

In a few years you will have passed enough developmental milestones to watch a big girl telly programme called Charlie and Lola. Until them you'll have to continue making an ass out of u and umption.

Oi, C&L is ace!!

russell
6th May 2011, 20:38
You beat me to it. Little doubt, I'm sure he'll be banned soon but hopefully not until we see what the next rep-level is.

Oi, C&L is ace!!
:zzzz:

I can see why you've been awarded the most boring poster award, have you thought about helping people with persistent insomnia, a few minutes with you and they would sleeping like a baby.

russell
6th May 2011, 20:41

Ok mate, not really sure what you are on about, and I can see from you avatar you may be in need of some mental health intervention, maybe electric shock treatment or a lobotomy? Although sounds like you may have already have had them.

Old Greg
6th May 2011, 21:13
Ok mate, not really sure what you are on about, and I can see from you avatar you may be in need of some mental health intervention, maybe electric shock treatment or a lobotomy? Although sounds like you may have already have had them.

Are you a happy person?

Cliphead
6th May 2011, 21:23
Are you a happy person?

He sounds suspiciously like someone on here before who was banned. Give it time...

russell
6th May 2011, 21:29
Are you a happy person?

I have been responding to insults, but from now on I will ignore that and only talk about the topic of the thread, I hope you can do the same.

Cliphead
6th May 2011, 21:36
I have been responding to insults, but from now on I will ignore that and only talk about the topic of the thread, I hope you can do the same.

Hey, Kandr welcome back :rolleyes:

thunderlizard
7th May 2011, 00:33
So from the sounds of it none of you have done anything that, well, could count as an act of war.
Never done it, never seen it done, and never credibly heard of it being done. I have picked up projects where a previous contractor either was asked to leave or left in a hurry, and seen some highly corner-cutting code, but I would put that down to incompetence and bad decisions taken under pressure of time, rather than active sabotage.

Old Greg
7th May 2011, 06:56

But are you happy?

russell
7th May 2011, 07:32
But are you happy?

:D

EternalOptimist
7th May 2011, 09:47
I was building an app at a pharma, and the key user was a bit of a scally, a cockney hard case. We got on like a house on fire, and had a few good sessions.

I put some code on one of the menus, if the user was this guy, if it was a wednesday, if it was between 10 and 11:30
randomise one chance in a thousand, change the menu option
Ad Hoc Queries to
Haddock Queries

I met him a few years later, and he mentioned this weird bug that he couldnt replicate and had all the support staff laughing at him. when he saw a slight suppressed smile begin to form, he chased me round the site about three times

:rolleyes:

Old Greg
7th May 2011, 10:28
:D

You don't seem very happy.

russell
7th May 2011, 10:31
You don't seem very happy.

Is there a couch I can lie on? :freaky:

Old Greg
7th May 2011, 10:34
Is there a couch I can lie on? :freaky:

I thought you were ignoring me.

ChimpMaster
7th May 2011, 13:05
I was building an app at a pharma, and the key user was a bit of a scally, a cockney hard case. We got on like a house on fire, and had a few good sessions.

I put some code on one of the menus, if the user was this guy, if it was a wednesday, if it was between 10 and 11:30
randomise one chance in a thousand, change the menu option
Ad Hoc Queries to
Haddock Queries

I met him a few years later, and he mentioned this weird bug that he couldnt replicate and had all the support staff laughing at him. when he saw a slight suppressed smile begin to form, he chased me round the site about three times

:rolleyes:

Wow, an on-topic response, thanks EO!

Shame on you Russell et al.

d000hg
23rd May 2011, 21:07

Disgruntled Bomb: Java Edition - The Daily WTF (http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Disgruntled-Bomb-Java-Edition.aspx)

typeof(string).GetField("Empty").SetValue(null, " ");

Platypus
23rd May 2011, 23:01
I once wrote some code which I soon realised provided a nice "root" backdoor into the host Unix system. I tested it out and it worked a treat. But I never had the opportunity (or balls) to exploit it on a client system, but I suppose I could have entered a few large invoices into the finance system and my bank details for BACS payment :eek but prison didn't really appeal to me back then, or now in fact :grin

Churchill
24th May 2011, 06:59
Barclays in branch server - the Barclays Eagle Logo flapped and dropped turds to the bottom of the screen once a month.
Yorkshire Bank in branch server - The white rose in the "Y" logo changed to red for 100msec every friday at a "random" time between 2pm and 4pm.

Churchill - in "I was that Spod" mode!

2BIT
24th May 2011, 11:27

If so, FOAD.

to be fair this new bloke does tend to answer the post he wants to answer, just take each of his posts as the non-sequiturs they are and ignore...
http://forums.contractoruk.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif