• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vote Now! And Vote Often!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vote Now! And Vote Often!

Vote now for the best sci-fi film never made ? The Register

Ohhh difficult:
    The Stainless Steel Rat – Harry Harrison
    or
    Neuromancer – William Gibson
    or
    Dragonriders of Pern – Anne McCaffrey
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

another hour wasted on the internet thanks!

I did find this however:
      Hardware: The Definitive SF Works of Chris Foss: Amazon.co.uk: Rian Hughes, Chris Foss: Books

out next month I think!
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Ender's Game and the Iain. M. Banks books are awesome but I can't imagine how to portray a ship Mind in film, and a film about a bunch of little children fighting would inevitably suck or be made family-friendly.

City & The Stars could be interesting but they'd probably put car chases and a love-interest in it, like I Robot.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I haven't seen most of them. I'm off to see whether I can find a copy of "Ringworld" to evaluate.

Comment

Asimovs Foundation series would be a good choice
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              "Ringworld" dates from the time when Niven wrote stuff that was worth reading.

The Known Space collections are good too.
              Yes, I enjoyed reading Ringworld, although the construction itself was rather obviously an elongated and joined-at-the-ends version of the US.

How about Solaris (1972). (I haven't seen the 2002 remake yet)
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Yes, I enjoyed reading Ringworld, although the construction itself was rather obviously an elongated and joined-at-the-ends version of the US.

How about Solaris (1972). (I haven't seen the 2002 remake yet)
                Yes, but is there a film? Has anyone got Steven Spielberg's number?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Iain. M. Banks books are awesome but I can't imagine how to portray a ship Mind in film,
                  Yeah, when I was reading Consider Phlebas, I was wondering the same thing. Wasp Factory - another fascinating read by IMB.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Yeah, when I was reading Consider Phlebas, I was wondering the same thing. Wasp Factory - another fascinating read by IMB.
                    Player of Games would work. Not much in the way of ship interaction and the drones are easy enough to do.

Thinking about it the Ship Minds could easily be presented as Hologram style avatars when needed. Multiple ship conversations could be the same avatars in some funky Cyber space style setting.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X