• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Second hand smart phones

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second hand smart phones

I'm going to check out the rather large selection of iPod Touches and iPhones up for auction this week, which seem to sell for around £50 to £90. I'm probably more interested in the iPod Touch as I don't want a telephone contract. A lot of these devices are listed as "Airport unclaimed property".

What issues, if any, are likely to be encountered with reseting a probable passcode protected iPod Touch? And if I did take an interest in a smartphone, what's to watch out for in terms of SIMS, contracts, etc, if any?

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I'm going to check out the rather large selection of iPod Touches and iPhones up for auction this week, which seem to sell for around £50 to £90. I'm probably more interested in the iPod Touch as I don't want a telephone contract. A lot of these devices are listed as "Airport unclaimed property".

What issues, if any, are likely to be encountered with reseting a probable passcode protected iPod Touch? And if I did take an interest in a smartphone, what's to watch out for in terms of SIMS, contracts, etc, if any?
    If its an iPod touch a full factory restore with iTunes will clear any passcode, if its an iPhone and it was lost odds are its be remotely deactivated as useless, either way they are probably stolen, if its too good to be true etc...
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      If its an iPod touch a full factory restore with iTunes will clear any passcode, if its an iPhone and it was lost odds are its be remotely deactivated as useless, either way they are probably stolen, if its too good to be true etc...
      It doesn't say whether the phones have been deactivated, they are sold "as seen". If they have been deactivated and useless there are a lot of disappointed buyers out there because they do sell. E.g.

I was also wondering about iTunes. I already have an iPod Touch and wondered whether iTunes would throw a wobbly if I have two devices and only one iTunes.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

They may have been previously bought with cash by international terrorists, to phone in ransom demands and coded warnings etc, and then discarded before being traced.

So if you buy one, don't be surprised if a stun grenade is suddenly lobbed through your sitting room window, followed by an SAS/SEAL team.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          They may have been previously bought with cash by international terrorists, to phone in ransom demands and coded warnings etc, and then discarded before being traced.

So if you buy one, don't be surprised if a stun grenade is suddenly lobbed through your sitting room window, followed by an SAS/SEAL team.
          Ok for anyone who wanted a burial at sea.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
          X