• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short term "emigration"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short term "emigration"

My wife looks likely to be unemployed shortly; we were talking about the idea of moving abroad to chase a job for her but it's a big step into the unknown. Since I work from home anyway we were discussing the idea to take an extended 'holiday' of 3-6 month somewhere to test whether we can hack living away from everything and everyone we know without having to actually go through with it.

I wouldn't be moving to work in the foreign country, I would just be visiting and would continue to work while there getting paid to my UK accounts.
    What kind of duration can you stay in EU countries and the US to do this with[out] a visa? While there, would my wife be able to work at all even doing shift work or would this be totally forbidden?

Anyone done anything like this or thought of it?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    My wife looks likely to be unemployed shortly; we were talking about the idea of moving abroad to chase a job for her but it's a big step into the unknown. Since I work from home anyway we were discussing the idea to take an extended 'holiday' of 3-6 month somewhere to test whether we can hack living away from everything and everyone we know without having to actually go through with it.

I wouldn't be moving to work in the foreign country, I would just be visiting and would continue to work while there getting paid to my UK accounts.
    What kind of duration can you stay in EU countries and the US to do this with[out] a visa? While there, would my wife be able to work at all even doing shift work or would this be totally forbidden?

What is you and your mrs' visa status? I assume you're both UK citizens?

For EU it's no problem for her, EU right of free movement and employment, US is different, she'd need a H1B or an L1 which I think is an intra-country transfer if that is applicable.

Comment

If you and your wife are EU citizens then no visa is required to work elsewhere in the EU, but for tax purposes may not be as simple as saying "I'm just visiting" as you will usually end up tax resident in your new country after six months. The company situation can also be complicated as there is no "183 day rule" for companies, and if it's deemed that the "centre of control" of your company has moved the company may end up tax resident in your new country from day 1. There may also be other legalities involved in that case regarding compulsory insurances social payments and so on.

Quite a lot of people take a "keep quiet" approach. Some of them get away with it, some of them don't. You hear all sorts of horror stories.

I don't know what the rules are in the US.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

In the EU basically if you do work anywhere you will be expected to tax that from day 1 in that country, not after 183 days, even if you are there for less than 6 months. However there is a different tax status. The 6 month rule usually means you become fully tax resident. Up until that time you will be taxed only on income you made in the country.

Some contractors have been caught out by this even though they kept to the 183 residency rule. Obviously they're not going to chase you for a few days working remotely from a hotel room, they'll never find out. But you need to be careful if it is several months.

If you do plan to stay several months I would advise setting yourself up locally. Usually there is no significant tax advantage by taxing in the UK, so there's no reason to run an unnecessary risk. Contractors who do run their business through a UK Ltd, simply do it to avoid the hassle of registering with a foreign tax authority, rather than to save money, and then face a huge tax bill with penalties when it goes wrong. Lets put it this way better to get an official statement from the authorities saying you have no tax to pay than to get a nasty letter informing you they've opened a criminal investigation against you. In other words let them decide if you need to be taxed there don't decide yourself. Inform them with a letter at the very least.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 May 2011, 08:30.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

In most countries, it gets complicated if you arrive as a tourist, then decide to stay. It's easier within the EU though. You could do three months in Switzerland, for example, without needing to register with the authorities. But it wouldn't be the expat experience. Unless you can take the plunge, and plan on at least three years, my recommendation would be: don't bother.

All you'll gain is experience of an "extended working holiday".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It sounds like in my case as effectively a freelancer, I should simply go on an extended holiday and happen to do some work while there without telling anyone. And in my wife's case, she should actually be on holiday for real. No intention to make it complicated, the motivation is simply to see how we deal with living away without losing the income of working.

Comment

It sounds like in my case as effectively a freelancer, I should simply go on an extended holiday and happen to do some work while there without telling anyone. And in my wife's case, she should actually be on holiday for real. No intention to make it complicated, the motivation is simply to see how we deal with living away without losing the income of working.
              Haven't really thought this through have you?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I must be getting old because when I see, as threaded would put it, demonstrations of upfront naivety as that shown above I don't have the energy to reply

SB as ever nicely summed up

Dooog, when the foundation plan is based upon dodgy ideas as those above your chance of success is massively reduced

anyway, good luck to you

Milan.

Comment

By your logic an author can't go to another country to write their next book, and a composer can't spend a week in USA on holiday and happen to write a song in their free time.
                  I would BE on holiday but doing some work at the same time. Not working for a client IN that country either. This isn't like trying to pick up work in a foreign country while there on holiday, I'm just doing a few hours' in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Haven't really thought this through have you?

With telecommunications as widespread and cheap as they are these days, doogie can continue to take support calls anywhere in the world while his wife takes that new brick laying job on a site in Dusseldorf.

'That's living all right!'
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X