• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from [REDACTED] Vol. LXXI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from [REDACTED] Vol. LXXI

Get 'em now, before they're superenjoined:
    • Unspoken Truths - "Like so many of life’s varieties of experience, the novelty of a diagnosis of malignant cancer has a tendency to wear off. The thing begins to pall, even to become banal." Christopher Hitchens reflects on the various ways cancer has affected his life, from friends giving him Leonard Cohen CDs to losing his speech.

• Shady Characters - "The secret life of punctuation." Everything you ever wanted to know, and more, about such characters as the pilcrow (¶) and the octothorpe (#); you'll want to keep coming back to this one as Keith Houston is adding new content regularly.

• Moviebarcode - This gallery reduces entire films to a single image. If you want to know how to make your own, one technique is explained here by "Mr Reid, physics teacher".

• Why Donald Duck Is the Jerry Lewis of Germany - "...much of the appeal of the hapless, happy-go-lucky duck lies in the translations. Donald quotes from German literature, speaks in grammatically complex sentences and is prone to philosophical musings, while the stories often take a more political tone than their American counterparts." Susan Bernofsky explains why the weekly Micky Maus comic sells over 250,000 issues, and the monthly Donald Duck Special 40,000, in the land of Goethe and Hesse.

• Noam Chomsky: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden’s Death - "We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush’s compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic." Chomsky considers the act, and the language associated with it.

• Tron Legacy - "I spent a half year writing software art to generate special effects for Tron Legacy, working at Digital Domain with Bradley 'GMUNK' Munkowitz, Jake Sargeant, and David 'dlew' Lewandowski." Josh Nimoy tells us how it was done.

• Mad German Auteur, Now in 3-D! - An interview with Werner Herzog. "I think psychology and self-reflection is one of the major catastrophes of the twentieth century. A major, major mistake. And it's only one of the mistakes of the twentieth century, which makes me think that the twentieth century in its entirety was a mistake."

• When We Tested Nuclear Bombs - Speaking of the twentieth century, here's an excellent gallery of nuclear-test-related photos.

• The Princess and the Penny - "Laurie Penny hates princesses: new princesses, old princesses, Disney princesses, pop princesses, above all the princess that lurks inside every female head, even perhaps her own. The fairytale princess is for her what Carthage was for Porcius Cato the Elder: the source of all moral contagion, something that "must be destroyed"." Gloriously scathing critique of Ms Penny's reaction to the Royal wedding, by the Heresiarch.

• Stickers on the Central Line - Minor modifications to the Tube line map:

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    [*]Noam Chomsky: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden’s Death - "We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush’s compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic." Chomsky.
    I think I would smile, maybe clap.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      I think I would smile, maybe clap.
      There would be a certain ironic symmetry

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        [*]When We Tested Nuclear Bombs - Speaking of the twentieth century, here's an excellent gallery of nuclear-test-related photos.
        I have a lovely book of those: 100 Suns
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
        X