• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solicitor Search Says Im Bankrupt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitor Search Says Im Bankrupt

Hi,

I'm buying a house, got the mortgage offer ok, one of the things my solicitor had to do was check to see if I was a registered bankcrupt. On Sat I got a letter saying the 'Land Registory' search they did showed someone with my name living at an address I have no links to as being a bankrupt.

Question is does anyone know if the solicitors solely search by name or linked addresses as well ?

I dont have a clue how they linked me to this address if thats how they linked me. I work in financials services as well so bankruptcy linked to my me means NO work.

you only have to reply saying its not u - dont panic
    "Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is."
    - PJ O'Rourke

Comment

If they search solely by name, they are in breach of the provisions of the amendments to the second instalment of the data protection act which was introduced to prevent exactly this sort of thing from happening. Address, at a minimum, must also be used.

Keep calm, don't panic. Just find out what the facts are. Is the Land Registry saying you are this person? If they are, you just need to contact them and correct the record. You have a statutory right to see the information being held, so ask for a copy yourself (£2 is the statutory fee).

Don't worry about it. If the information is incorrect, it is easily sorted.

Comment

Cheers.

Will wait to see what my solicitor says, if she ever replies to my emails or returns my calls, are all solicitors sh*t. I always check my credit records with Experian and nothing is on there. Mortgage company said as well they wouldnt of made me a formal mortgage offer if there credit searchs had shown me as bankrucpt.

Comment

Don't forget, your solicitors will charge you £200/hour for replying to your email, minimum charge period 1 hour, so don't go crazy and bombard them. Just write to them saying "it isn't you" and leave it at that.

Comment

Brill: If you live another day I will be very impressed.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
              If they search solely by name, they are in breach of the provisions of the amendments to the second instalment of the data protection act which was introduced to prevent exactly this sort of thing from happening. Address, at a minimum, must also be used.
              Don't be stupid, of course you can't do a bankrupty search using an address. If you could, all a bankrupt would have to do to become un-bankrupt would be to move.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                Don't be stupid, of course you can't do a bankrupty search using an address. If you could, all a bankrupt would have to do to become un-bankrupt would be to move.

tim

If you're going to start calling people stupid, it helps greatly if you aren't stupid yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                  If you're going to start calling people stupid, it helps greatly if you aren't stupid yourself.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Apperently this is the process they follow,

1. We initially carry out the search based on name only as is required by your lender. If we get a positive result, we apply for an office copy of the results which we then cross-reference by way of date of birth.

2. We can also go on line to the Insolvency Services to check the date of birth of the person named on the search.

Apperently they did do further checks but this other person with the same name as me also has the same date of birth, wieird, it appears in another life I am a bankrupt barman hehehehe. I need to send them a few bits to prove me addresses over the last 4 years and that will sort it.

Comment

Working...
                    X