• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greenism in it's death throes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greenism in it's death throes

Terence Corcoran: Greens

since 1980, there have been no signs of warming in Canada or the United States, where temperatures have declined since 1980.
    Looks to me like this time next year climate change will be nothing more than a quaint memory.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 May 2011, 16:15.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Terence Corcoran: Greens

Looks to me like this time next year climate change will be nothing more than a quaint memory.
    you can take a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.
    I would be very green, if only they would leave me alone, give me the facts, and let me take my time to come around.
    But as soon as they put the swastika armbands on, chips in me 7 wheely bins and start TELLING me what to do, grrrrr
    and dont get me started on those wiggly light bulbs and cfcs and carbon tax

I suppose it's the fate of all religions, to go over the mark, cause a massive backlash, then keep their heads down for a few hundred years or so

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Your stupidity surpasses the stupidity you attribute to AGW theories in that case. The idea is deeply entrenched in society, culture & media now and will take time to catch up with any new ideas.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Your stupidity surpasses the stupidity you attribute to AGW theories in that case. The idea is deeply entrenched in society, culture & media now and will take time to catch up with any new ideas.
        Of course there will be people who still believe in this crap, but the point is when they're bragging about their solar panels at a party, people will be sniggering behind their back.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 May 2011, 17:00.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Of course there will be people who still believe in this crap, but the point is when they're bragging about their solar panels at a party, people will be sniggering behind their back.
          To be fair if that happens it will take at least a decade. The green eco movement only really gathered speed since the turn of the century and a lot of that was driven by extensive TV advertising, "green" taxes and politicians driving the agenda.

Comment

Solar panels aren't about being green, it's about saving money since the government subsidises it and pays for the extra leccy, etc.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Solar panels aren't about being green, it's about saving money since the government subsidises it and pays for the extra leccy, etc.
              eh ??
              how does it save money ? it's a blooming subsidy

that means everyone else in the street is paying for mr. greens la di da fkng solar panels.
              madness, absolute madness.

if everyone had them, there would be no subsidy then no-one would have them

if you see what i mean

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

WHS

Cracking article in The Times yesterday(which I cannot seem to find online but have kept the paper) which had a breakdown of buying a new Toyota electric car, coupled with using a car port with solar panels attached to generate the electricity, coupled with feedback tariff for a five year pay back on the extra costs. Really good.

TBH I don't really know much about electricity generation and whether 30 KWH is low or high.

Not afraid to ask, so can anyone point me at some articles/explanations of electrictiry generation and how it all works?
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  WHS

Cracking article in The Times yesterday(which I cannot seem to find online but have kept the paper) which had a breakdown of buying a new Toyota electric car, coupled with using a car port with solar panels attached to generate the electricity, coupled with feedback tariff for a five year pay back on the extra costs. Really good.

TBH I don't really know much about electricity generation and whether 30 KWH is low or high.

Not afraid to ask, so can anyone point me at some articles/explanations of electrictiry generation and how it all works?

Electricity generation from solar panels ?

depending upon the size of your roof, will cost between 10 and 15k

you will recieve a generation tariff of about £1500 - £1700 per annum
                  you will earn about 30 - £50 feed in tariff per annum

you still have to pay your usual energy bills, although these will be lower because of the solar panels

Its a rule of thumb that they pay for themselves in 10 years, provided they dont need maintenance or repair.

They are not energy savers or green in any way, they are worthwhile purely because of the subsidy which is clevery disguised as the 'generation tariff'

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Electricity generation from solar panels ?

depending upon the size of your roof, will cost between 10 and 15k

you will recieve a generation tariff of about £1500 - £1700 per annum
                    you will earn about 30 - £50 feed in tariff per annum

you still have to pay your usual energy bills, although these will be lower because of the solar panels

Its a rule of thumb that they pay for themselves in 10 years, provided they dont need maintenance or repair.

They are not energy savers or green in any way, they are worthwhile purely because of the subsidy which is clevery disguised as the 'generation tariff'

Cheers. I understand the cost sides. It's the KWH bit that loses me. Reading up on the article at the weekend it was doing the whole calculation from KWH.

For example, the article I read earlier Sainsbury's pioneers revolutionary green energy kinetic plate system | Environment | guardian.co.uk talks about 30KWH generated per hour which it says powers their till system. I'm trying to get my head around what is generated. The house next door for example has 12 solar panels on it's roof. The other article I read at the weekend was about a guy who invented a car port with a solar panel on it's roof. He is trying to get outside car parks to install them. So for example, a 1500 bay open car park at somewhere like Legoland for example, would cost say £10k per port, but would generate ??? KWH which would calculate to X per KWH or would power Y houses?

Just trying to understand it. Gonna read up on it later.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X