• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goldman Sachs to cash out of LinkedIn / networking site floats later this month

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goldman Sachs to cash out of LinkedIn / networking site floats later this month

Are the times of professionals sharing information for mutual gain now forever lost when LinkedIn goes public?

My fear is that making money shall become more important than professionals sharing knowledge.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Are the times of professionals sharing information for mutual gain now forever lost when LinkedIn goes public?
    No, because if the service is no longer free it'll be replaced with another free service. Social media software is so widely available you can set up an alternative very easily.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      No, because if the service is no longer free it'll be replaced with another free service. Social media software is so widely available you can set up an alternative very easily.
      So why is one more successful than the other? Because of the name?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

So why is one more successful than the other? Because of the name?
        Hmm, don't know, but I do believe that once some software based service is offered for free and the software is readily available it'll be very difficult for anyone to charge money for it.

Comment

Hmm, don't know, but I do believe that once some software based service is offered for free and the software is readily available it'll be very difficult for anyone to charge money for it.
          Wait a minute. Are you saying facebook members are not necessarily loyal and would move to another brand if they could get the same service - say without adverts say?

So what exactly is £60 Bailiiooon valuation of facebook actually valuing?

Comment

You're not supposed to ask that kind of question if you work for a bank. Remember what happened when some bloke asked what was inside one of those AAA rated Credit Derivative thingummyjigs?

Really, people like you with your healthy skepticism and your inquisitive mind can bring the world's economy crashing to a halt. Stop it!
            Last edited by Mich the Tester; 10 May 2011, 13:03.

Comment

Wait a minute. Are you saying facebook members are not necessarily loyal and would move to another brand if they could get the same service - say without adverts say?

The fact that as long as you don't charge people for the privilege, they are happy to be bombarded with whatever targeted marketing you like and will happily hand over all their personal details for the opportunity to see how much weight their ex has put on in her holiday pics and whether her boobies look any better as a consequence.

HTH

No? Just me then.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                The fact that as long as you don't charge people for the privilege, they are happy to be bombarded with whatever targeted marketing you like and will happily hand over all their personal details for the opportunity to see how much weight their ex has put on in her holiday pics and whether her boobies look any better as a consequence.

HTH

No? Just me then.
                Show us your bird's tits and we can judge.

Comment

It's already turned tulip IMO, agents use it as their own free recruitment portal so the interesting stuff gets lost amongst the endless irelevent guff. Just saw this posted by an agent on my 'wall':

'XXXX - [email protected] is excited for my Birthday this weekend!!!'

Typical invite: 'Open Networker with 20,000+ contacts, add me!!!!!'

Er feck off.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Show us your bird's tits and we can judge.
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X