• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barbecue Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbecue Dilemma

Need advice on indirect grilling.

Tried bbqing a big piece of pork belly at weekend.

Recipe said bbq it for 10 minutes each side to get it crisp then stick it on a roasting tray and put bbq lid on. Leave for 1 hour.

Here is my problem; I have to put enough charcoal on to keep it going for approx 1 hour 20 mins. This means that it is way too hot for the initial grilling and the meat literally incinerates.

Any advice would be welcome. I have a Weber kettle by the way.

Why not just strap it to the side of the exhaust of one of those hugely riveting lawnmowers you scoot around on instead?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      Need advice on indirect grilling.

Tried bbqing a big piece of pork belly at weekend.

Recipe said bbq it for 10 minutes each side to get it crisp then stick it on a roasting tray and put bbq lid on. Leave for 1 hour.

Here is my problem; I have to put enough charcoal on to keep it going for approx 1 hour 20 mins. This means that it is way too hot for the initial grilling and the meat literally incinerates.

Any advice would be welcome. I have a Weber kettle by the way.
      Get the BBQ going with the require amount of coals, take half of them out with a coal shovel or similar, get the meat crisp, put the coals back, roast with the lid on.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Why can't you top up with new coals half way through?!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Where's milan when you need him, probably busy changing his tapes.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Gas BBQ?
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Why can't you top up with new coals half way through?!
              Too smokey.

Comment

That was my daddy you murder!!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Cute picture it would look better between two bits of bread though

The trick to indirect BBQ is to bank your coals up one side of the kettle and then place the meet on the opposite end.
                  When you cover the BBQ, the heat will then circulates to cook the meat. You can add some beer soaked oak shavings on the coals to give your meat the smoky taste.

I have a Weber BBQ starter so when the coals start to go cold, you have the next batch ready at cooking temperature.

Weber® Chimney Starter

Comment

BBQ is too fierce for pork belly. It needs 3 hrs in oven on low heat. Same with Lamb Shanks. Now a butterfly'd leg of lamb that has been soaked in cider/mustard/garlic/rosemary for 24hrs is a different kettle of fish alltogether.

Comment

Working...
                    X