• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will the UK end up like Portugal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The key is holding the property market up.

does the house price slide represent the start of something more sinister, reflecting something fundamentally broken in the mortgage market beyond the healing powers of loose monetary policy and time?
    George Osborne Must Move Fast on Housing - WSJ.com

hmm
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You mean hot?

Comment

I hope so I like the lisbon and Porto coast areas.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Surely Ireland is a better comparison? Housing market collapses. Rainy summers and a troublesome northern part.
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

He can either save house prices or Sterling, but not both.

My guess he will save Sterling, which may come down to increasing interest rates. This will have the effect of pushing property prices further down.

UK property price bubble was caused by cheap and easy money, both will be gone, the bubble will burst.

My guess 34% down from peak prices.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Lets hope there is a massive crash. T'will be good for both first time buyers and cash rich buyers/ investors.
            And it will have the bonus effect of being a salutory lesson to the country for the future - the economy can only survive long term if it is run for the benefit of the wise and not the foolish.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              He can either save house prices or Sterling, but not both.

My guess he will save Sterling, which may come down to increasing interest rates. This will have the effect of pushing property prices further down.

UK property price bubble was caused by cheap and easy money, both will be gone, the bubble will burst.

My guess 34% down from peak prices.

34? I was thinking more like 33.6%

Comment

With uneven, crappy cobbled pavements and no sense of national identity other than football shirts?
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

I blame plastic corks.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                    With uneven, crappy cobbled pavements and no sense of national identity other than football shirts?
                    Eh? The thread was about theUK ending up like Portugal, not the other way round.

Comment

Working...
                    X