• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deos anyone else buy and sell things on eBay just so you can have a tinker with them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deos anyone else buy and sell things on eBay just so you can have a tinker with them?

Obviously some things you end up keeping because they are useful don't you.

What sort of random tat do you buy?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Never even looked at ebay.

the cleaner in work is a real fan though, she loves it. So I bring stuff in and she sells it and give me half the dough. She raves about it

it's a funny old world

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Oddly enough yes. I've been looking into building a product review site.

Garden machinery mainly. Idea is to buy something off eBay, publish a review on my site complete with a video of yours truly demoing the product and then sell it back on eBay.

Idea is to generate money from affiliate links.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

the cleaner in work is a real fan though, she loves it. So I bring stuff in and she sells it and give me half the dough. She raves about it

it's a funny old world

I love eBay - I had a massive clearout recently and managed to make a fair few quid

One mans rubbish and all that.
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          I love eBay - I had a massive clearout recently and managed to make a fair few quid

One mans rubbish and all that.
          What kind of items were they.

I've tried mini-clearouts, about a dozen items, but only one or two items ever sell.

End up having to re-list the items a few weeks later.

Planning on having a big clearout in the coming weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
            Oddly enough yes. I've been looking into building a product review site.

Garden machinery mainly. Idea is to buy something off eBay, publish a review on my site complete with a video of yours truly demoing the product and then sell it back on eBay.

Idea is to generate money from affiliate links.
            Is that kind of a genial suburban English version of Girls With Guns? And will you be smoking a pipe during your demonstrations? That would definitely put the value of the videos up.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

it's a funny old world

Me neither, but I reckon I could make tens of thousands selling my 3000+ (physical) books, which I rarely look at, and other assorted knick knacks I've bought in junk shops over the years.

I mean for a start, the Yanks will pay for rocks, and I have a bag of interesting seaside pebbles somewhere. One or two even have holes through them.

The trouble is the postage, and buying jiffy bags, would take a huge chunk out of the profit, not to mention the time arsing about checking your listings and posting the goods (and the thought of HMR&C wanting a piece of the action, the parasites).
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                What kind of items were they.

I've tried mini-clearouts, about a dozen items, but only one or two items ever sell.

End up having to re-list the items a few weeks later.

Planning on having a big clearout in the coming weeks.
                Clothes mostly I'm going to have a shoe and handbag clear out soon - that will be traumatic but I'm sure I'll pull through

Old DVD's too that we have changed for Blue Ray's.

The trick is to start stuff at 99p when it's free to list them and you'd be suprised how quick they stuff goes up. I'm always astounded at the stuff that goes for more than I expect, obviously some stuff will go for 99p but not much.

As doodab mentioned, I've sold stuff that doesn't work and just made it clear in the listing, I guess people buy stuff like that to tinker with. Old electronic stuff etc.
                Bazza gets caught

Comment

Last year, I sold my old Dyson, I was just going to chuck it. It was a DC02 so a fairly old model and I was astounded by how much it went for!!
                  Bazza gets caught

Comment

I've been known to dabble.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X