• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help on IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on IR35

Hi

Please can someone help me oout

For the same firm,
    I started contracting 3-4yrs ago, place of work Norwich
    18 months ago, I became permanent, place of work London
    1 month ago, I became a contractor again, place of work Sutton

Do I fall under IR35 ?

Thanks
    VJ

The locations have nothing to do with IR35.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

As Fred says, the location is not important. It's the working conditions that matter. Have you had the contract reviewed?
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Welcome Aki

As the others have said your location has nothing to do with IR35, it depends on your working practises:

Are you under the supervision, direction and control of the client
        Could you provide a substitute if you were unable to attend the contract for any reason
        Do you have to provide your own equipment
        Do you or the client have to give notice to terminate the contract
        Do you have set working hours
        Are there permanent employees at the site doing the same job as you

etc etc

The answers to the above (and other) questions will determine your IR35 status and you should also be aware that the wording in the contract is not enough, you need to be able to prove that the contract is an accurate reflection of your working practises.

HTH
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Aki View Post
          Hi

Please can someone help me oout

For the same firm,
          I started contracting 3-4yrs ago, place of work Norwich
          18 months ago, I became permanent, place of work London
          1 month ago, I became a contractor again, place of work Sutton

Do I fall under IR35 ?

Thanks
          VJ
          Location is irrelevent. It is the job you are doing and the condictions under which you are doing it that matter.

Up until a month ago IR35 did not apply.

Assuming your original contract was properly compliant with the regs. then you would be outside IR35 in that contract.

As a permie IR35 is irrelevent, you are paying tax on PAYE anyway.

However, if you are now doing the same job, for the same company as a contractor as you were doing as a permie then you will be caught by IR35 regardless of what your contract says.

This assumes you are contracting through your own LTd and not an Umbrella. If you are using an Umbrella then IR35 is irrelevent as you are paying tax under PAYE anyway.
          Last edited by DaveB; 12 May 2011, 08:50.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm fairly new to freelancing, which is why I've come on here to read some advice from people that have been doing it a bit longer. I did find this IR35 guide while doing some research. Not sure if it will be of any use to you?
            Last edited by Contractor UK; 30 August 2021, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by misscontractor View Post
              I'm fairly new to freelancing, which is why I've come on here to read some advice from people that have been doing it a bit longer. I did find this IR35 guide while doing some research. Not sure if it will be of any use to you?
              It is, but not as useful as Home | PCG Download the Guide to Freelancing and study it carefully
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 30 August 2021, 14:27.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
              X