• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC problems

I've recently completed a 10 month contract with an oil giant, and have applied for a number of suitable positions since.

Some of these require SC level security clearance, which I used to have, but is no longer current.

Every single agent I have spoken to will not even consider me for this reason!

Even though their advert says "...or must be willing to go through vetting", they change the story when I apply to that of "....but sue to the short notice, the client only wants someone who is already cleared".

In my frustration, I called the Defence Vetting Agency. They confirmed that this practice is rife at the moment, and they are currently taking around 10 weeks to vet someone to SC level.

Grrr...I'm so annoyed as I've missed out on a variety of positions which, skill-wise, I'm ideally suited to.

Are any of you seeing this same situation with your applications?
    Be seeing you

Originally posted by beep
    Grrr...I'm so annoyed as I've missed out on a variety of positions which, skill-wise, I'm ideally suited to.

Are any of you seeing this same situation with your applications?
    Surely this is little different to missing out on a position because you have to work a notice period.

I've lost two jobs that way in the past month.

tim

Comment

What/where are these roles?!

I've got current SC and I'm about to start looking for a new contract
      Cats are evil.

Comment

The advice I've given to others that appears to have worked is to say you have got SC, get on site, and they can pretty rapidly sort it out for you, or march you out the door. Realistically I've not known of them march anyone out the door.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

If your SC expired within 12 months then it is still valid and can be transferred. It will take them as long to transfer you as it will to transfer anybody else.

If it is older than that then they have to start again.

Think yourself lucky. There have been major changes at the DVA. They used to sub-contract oversees checking and for some reason the sub-contractor pulled out. This means that the DVA can no longer check and clear people who have worked abroad for more than 3 years ().
          The DVA seem to think that this is not their problem .
          I will have to work in the UK for 3 years before I can be considered for SC work. As I would need UK clearance to work abroad again I am now stuck here. My previous 8 years have all been in the defence industry so I am well and truly snookered.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            The advice I've given to others that appears to have worked is to say you have got SC, get on site, and they can pretty rapidly sort it out for you, or march you out the door. Realistically I've not known of them march anyone out the door.
            You're making this up.

Tim

Comment

Sc Level Vetting

Hello folks -

I am new to this forum. However have been reading this for quite a long time.

I have a question from you experienced guys:

1. What is an SC Level security clearence
              2. How can this be attained
              3. What are the general requirements to apply for SC level clearence, i.e residental status, how long have you been in the UK or your work outisde UK (in USA) ????

I would appreciate your quickest response as I have been offered job that is subject to SC level security clearence.

Talk_voip

Comment

I have been offered job that is subject to SC level security clearence.
                Bet you don't get it. If you do, well done.

They need to find out if you are a risk to the security of the realm, so they will ensure you are who you say you are, and check political allegiances and the like just in case you sympathise with someone we officially don't like. They will also check your susceptibility to blackmail - so bank balances and general financial history, criminal history, marital status, etc., not in any great depth (they save that for DV) but quite carefully. They will also align what they find out to what is says on the forms. Find a mismatch and you're not passed and out of a job. So fill in the form carefully, omit nothing and be totally honest - that is bascally what they are looking for.

As for USA residence - last time I looked, they were on our side. If you'd said Afghanistan though...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Afghanistan are on our side too now. It was quite a heated argument but they saw our way of thinking in the end.

Comment

Malvolio, just out of curiosity , do they ask for personal references from friends or neighbours, and if so, do these people have to be of a certain 'social standing'. ie will my mate Bob the builder suffice or does it have to be a doctor/teacher etc ?

Comment

Working...
                    X