• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy agencies and their pro-rata salary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy agencies and their pro-rata salary

Many agencies quote "permanent" employment and a pro-rata "per annum" salary for contract jobs. The first is to hide the fact that you will only be laid off a month after the client contract is over, and the second is to hide a puny per day rate(multiplied by 21 days x 12 months). They usually have no answer I ask them why are they quoting a per year salary when they can't guarantee me a year's contract.This is a ploy being used by offshore services companies. Is it something I should be careful of in the future?

These are what are called "fixed term contracts".

They are not contracts as we understand them They are permie roles with a fixed end date, permie rate, no benefits.

Quite common in public sector, a number of people in the office I am currently in are on them. They have no real idea of the type of contracting I am doing.

Similar in name, but that is all.

I'm not sure if this next statement is correct, but I think these fixed term roles are usually pretty likely to last the stated term. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
      Many agencies quote "permanent" employment and a pro-rata "per annum" salary for contract jobs. The first is to hide the fact that you will only be laid off a month after the client contract is over, and the second is to hide a puny per day rate(multiplied by 21 days x 12 months). They usually have no answer I ask them why are they quoting a per year salary when they can't guarantee me a year's contract.This is a ploy being used by offshore services companies. Is it something I should be careful of in the future?
      Nothing dodgy here - you don't like the rate, don't apply.....
      "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

In my experience, the process for fixed term contracts is as follows:

1. Stick a cheeky advert out as a fixed term contract as the Client doesn't understand how contractors work.

2. Notice the quality of applicants you are getting is tulipe

3. Re-advertise role at a 'per day' basis at a ridiculously low rate.

4. See point 2.

5. Re-advertise the role at the market rate.

6. Get the right candidates.

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
        X