• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice required re share dealing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice required re share dealing

Does anyone know what constitutes insider dealing in shares?

The reason I ask is that my employer's share price (yes, I'm a permie, get over it!) has dropped from >100p to <30p recently. I know the company is strong, and it will recover, so I thought I might buy some shares.

I contacted the finance director to get permission to buy shares (we have to do that), and was told I'm not allowed to buy any. I don't know why.

Would it be illegal if I got my partner or a relative to buy some shares for me under their name? I'm not party to any knowledge about the future of the company, I'm just trying to take advantage of what I think is a good opportunity. I'm worried if I go ahead and buy some shares through someone else that I'll be doing something illegal.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post

The reason I ask is that my employer's share price (yes, I'm a permie, get over it!) has dropped from >100p to <30p recently. I know the company is strong, and it will recover, so I thought I might buy some shares.

I contacted the finance director to get permission to buy shares (we have to do that), and was told I'm not allowed to buy any. I don't know why.

Would it be illegal if I got my partner or a relative to buy some shares for me under their name? I'm not party to any knowledge about the future of the company, I'm just trying to take advantage of what I think is a good opportunity. I'm worried if I go ahead and buy some shares through someone else that I'll be doing something illegal.

Any thoughts?
    It's fine. Go ahead.

Comment

Where do you work btw?

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post

Any thoughts?
        In theory you would have to be on an insiders list. ie. You have access to finance information that allows you to make this decision based on 'inside information'.

If you're a grunt for example then it should not apply. Normally there is a close out period for insiders, which means that yes they can buy as well.

If you aint on the list then you can buy on the open market.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'd be suspicious of a contract that says you need their permission to buy shares unless you have this delicate info. But then companies pull all kinds of stuff.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If you have to get permission to buy shares and you don't have it then you're not allowed. For example if you know they have some orders coming in or you were on sales visits.

In any case even if the company is strong enough to recover it could still take several years to get it's share price back to where it was.

If you want to invest in shares read up about it first or invest in a portfolio.

You won't make a quick buck on a hunch. You'd be better off reading an investors mag and following their advice.

Small or medium sized companies it isn't unusual for share prices to drop over 90%, and then stay there for ever.

Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
            X