• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outstanding Invoices & Umbrella's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outstanding Invoices & Umbrella's

I have an outstanding invoice for a tiny anmount of money , the agency due to pay it has no intrest in paying it, my umbrella couldnt care less (Parasol) and of course because I never actually had a contract with the client I dont have a claim - any suggestions??,

Originally posted by rz6bm7
    I have an outstanding invoice for a tiny anmount of money , the agency due to pay it has no intrest in paying it, my umbrella couldnt care less (Parasol) and of course because I never actually had a contract with the client I dont have a claim - any suggestions??,
    You should sue Parasol if they won't pay up. They are your employer technically and as any employee you should be entitled to be paid your fees.

Take them to a Small Claims Court but give them a legal notice first to give them 7 days to pay. If Parasol come back to you and tell you that your contract with them stipulated that they were not responsible for employing you and that you've waived your right to claims tell them that you have to be employed by someone - if you are not self-employed, which you are not. If they get arsey about it again, tell them you will seriously question the validity of their own business if they are deemed to be an 'own business' but don't appear to have any risks attached to their business.

It's unlikely that a court would uphold any no-mans land clause like that if it leads to material losses to you that can be fully substantiated. They would also conclude that Parasol were acting as your substitute Directors and should treat you like the client/emlployee not the agency who obviously won't pay them.

Comment

A solicitor would probably recomend a Garnishee Order which allows you to bypass the umbrella and go straight to the source of the debt. It would not surprise me me that the agent is not aware of a Garnishee so informing them that you are legally aware may prompt them to pay.

Comment

I always found Parasol quite decent at getting the money out of small and big Agencies alike, ask them to sort it for you and I am sure they will help.

Comment

I'd like to think they would but so far they have generaly been about as effective as a chocolate tea pot.

Comment

Brolly's

Unfortunately all brolly's won't give a stuff when an agency doesn't pay. It is not in their interests to chase with an agency, especially a large one, as they are biting the hand that feeds them (i.e. they refer newbies to them - in return for a reward of course).

If you want to take it far enough the brolly will have to stump it up...but it might take a while and a lot of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Xtrain
              Unfortunately all brolly's won't give a stuff when an agency doesn't pay. It is not in their interests to chase with an agency, especially a large one, as they are biting the hand that feeds them (i.e. they refer newbies to them - in return for a reward of course).

If you want to take it far enough the brolly will have to stump it up...but it might take a while and a lot of effort.
              Bear in mind that if you are with a large agency, they probably also have another 50 guys working through that agency, and if they are paying well for the other 50 they won't rock too hard for little you.

Comment

Parasol

I'd be quite interested to see whether Parasol have anything to say about this. Probably quite a few of Parasol's potential customers would be interested.

Comment

I think you'll find it is the agency which is holding things up. Parasol will only pay you when they get paid. That's how brollies work, if you don't like it go limited, then at least you'll have some leverage over the agency instead of sitting around waiting for Parasol to make the call on your behalf.
                  Try ringing the agency to find out why they haven't paid. Make sure they have copies of signed timesheets, and that they acknowledge receipt of them. Give them 7 days to pay, then send them a standard letter informing them that you are going to the small claims court, and you will be passing on your costs to them. It will take about 15 mins of your time, do some googling on "small claims" if you need any more help.

I'm in the same position, but in my case it's for about 1.5K. It's not Parasols fault, although they could be a bit more on the ball when it comes to chasing invoices.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I'd like to think they would but so far they have generaly been about as effective as a chocolate tea pot.
                    You can give me a chocolate tea pot anyday.

Comment

Working...
                    X