• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transferring ownership of Laptop to Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring ownership of Laptop to Ltd

I have a one year old laptop that I would like to use in my new business (Ltd in-cooperation was a month ago).

How much do I have to deduct from the original price to represent a fair 2nd hand selling price to my own company? Is 33% ok and legal ?

Many Thanks,

Originally posted by houmie View Post
    I have a one year old laptop that I would like to use in my new business (Ltd in-cooperation was a month ago).

How much do I have to deduct from the original price to represent a fair 2nd hand selling price to my own company? Is 33% ok and legal ?

Many Thanks,
    In theory it's up to your LTD what it pays for it. As longs as it's not a blatant piss take.

I regularly move equipment between companies / personal and frankly if it is something I have purchased recently I make sure the LTD pays that amount for it. If you buy it from yourself though, there is no VAT to claim back.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'd suggest you check for similar items on Ebay, that way you can prove that the value you've transferred it at is genuinely the value that an unconnected third party would have paid.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        I'd suggest you check for similar items on Ebay, that way you can prove that the value you've transferred it at is genuinely the value that an unconnected third party would have paid.
        Or say you'd bought it from Elton John and charge 10x the price.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I expensed the full price of a laptop I bought 2 months before incorporation, and reclaimed the VAT too. I guess a year might be too long for that.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
          X