• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bit(no lots actually) of advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit(no lots actually) of advice needed

Last edited by Redbyte; 22 March 2006, 17:13.

If you cast your gaze slightly to the right of your post, you'll see one of those new fangled hyperlink thingies thoughtfully labelled "First Timers". Try clicking on it and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbyte
      Thanks to all out war between the directors of current employer, my jobs vanished, so Im starting out in contracting(IT).
      What the hell do I need to do- Which type of company do i need to set up, wheres the best place to do this, how much should it cost etc?

Any help appreciated(urgently)

Cheers
      RB
      If you cant find the answers to these questions on your own and quickly then contracting is not for you my son!

Beginners guides available on this site and the PCG site.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Ring up Prosperity4 and Computer People, tell them you are 'completely new' to this and need their advice as 'its a bit of a minefield, this contracting, isnt it..?' *

* If you actually do this you will be financially ruined within a year.

Sorry but newbies often get a rough reception here as:

1) There are obvious links to advice for first timers on where to start; company formation, bank accounts, negotiation of contracts, insurance of various kinds, industry bodies, financial and legal responsibilities, career guidance, etc.

2) They never read them.

3) There is a search facility that nobody uses except for the word 'boobies', in the Light Relief forum.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
          Sorry but newbies often get a rough reception here as:

1) There are obvious links to advice for first timers on where to start; company formation, bank accounts, negotiation of contracts, insurance of various kinds, industry bodies, financial and legal responsibilities, career guidance, etc.

2) They never read them.

3) There is a search facility that nobody uses except for the word 'boobies', in the Light Relief forum.
          There was one amazing fellow who came on with no sign of having even looked for the most elementary FAQ 'n' guide, asked his routine questions, expected us to write a personal version for him just in case he was special, and then got miffed for being told that, claiming that what he was doing was Doing His Own Research, i.e. asking us first. I did admire his nerve.

Rest assured, everybody here is really cuddly underneath*, and if you do read the First Timers Guide first then you can get loads of good answers.

* with only a few exceptions.

Comment

I think we need to cut redbyte a bit of slack on this one - I sense he's a bit shell-shocked at what's happened to him (everything moves a bit too fast when you have no control, eh Redbyte?) and is in a position he didn't expect or wish for.

The thing to do RB is to sit down (with or without the glass of brandy) and take a deep breath. As the song goes, you need to review the situation.

First of all - how's your money? Do you need to find work fast (how fast's fast?) or can you spend a month looking at all your options, deciding what you want to do and how you're going to get there.

If you need work fast,

1) get your CV into shape - dust it down and update it.
            2) follow the advice of other posters and read as much as possible
            2) look in jobserve for your current skill set and send off you CV to those jobs you match (*note* you're not looking for jobs you like at this point), avoid the aforementioned agency.
            3) read some more on interviews et al. You're probably a bit rusty on that.
            4) When you get a job (be positive!) get yourself an umbrella to start with - Parasol is ok, avoid the aforementioned brolly.

There more advice out there than this of course (particularly setting yourself up as a proper Ltd business), but the best bit I can give is:

Don't Panic.

HTH - Good Luck.
            Last edited by cojak; 21 March 2006, 19:20.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Agree to all the above (writes the board's resident grumpy old git). Those two guides are going to give you all you need to get started. Work out what it is you do, and look for work in that area - but be aware that no matter how good you are at your permie role, you're temporarily bottom of the pecking order until you have some freelance experience.

But be careful, it is not a lark, it is a career choice, you will have to learn to think for yourself and you will have to learn to think differently. Forget everything you know about "work", it's different now. Keep your eyes open and cross-check everything until you know what you're doing. Ask intelligent questions to get intelligent answers (usually, unless Mailman joins in ). Ask dumb questions and get slated (invariably!)

Get it right and it can be brilliant. Get it wrong and lose thousands. Simple really.

And DON'T PANIC! When you can't eat and have sold the kids, that's when you panic.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Before you ask.

Darren at 1st accountancy (search the member list) will give you all the advice you need and set up your Ltd. company and do your accounts for a reasonable fee (other accountants are available).
                The Abbey do a decent business account. (Other banks are available).
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Get the feeling we've done this before...??
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                    Get the feeling we've done this before...??
                    Not since last week
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X