• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Switzerland - Let the Naive Beware!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Switzerland - Let the Naive Beware!

Below is a draft email I put together yesterday for a client I interviewed for and "won" a contract with. I originally posted this on the English.ch forums which I found useful in researching the possibilities of taking a contract in Switzerland, but it was suggested there that it would be better posted here if my intention was to warn others (which it was).

If you're new to Switzerland (as I am) the differences cf the UK may come as a bit of a shock and hopefully this post will give some clues as to the "hidden costs" of such contracts and the way agencies will (deliberately, in my view) try to hide them from you. I should add that I've worked in other countries in the past - Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Germany and Ireland - and this was by far my most painful experience.

Feel free to comment if you think my experiences are unfair to Switzerland or untypical, but I get the impression (from the numerous agency references to "getting burnt" by previous contractors who fell for what was on offer and then "did a runner" when they discovered the realities) that my experience is very typical and in some ways I'm lucky I worked out the situation before I signed any contract and wasted even more time and money.

I have changed the name of the UK agency rep to "Fred" and used names like "UKAgency" and "SwissCo" to protect the guilty!

You have probably heard from Fred at UKAgency that I have declined the offered contract. My reasons for doing so follow and I hope that you will have the time and patience to read through them as I think that improvements in the information provided could have benefits in future UK recruitment efforts. But first let me emphasise that they are nothing to do with SwissCo or the work itself, with which I was excited about getting involved.

1.The higher tax (due to not being able to use my own company as in the past without a deposit of 10,000CHF, which I am not prepared to do)

2.The compulsory insurances deducted from salary which the UK tax man doesn’t recognise as being eligible towards UK tax

3.The high cost of accommodation and living expenses

4.The risk of being charged an additional 15% UK tax (on top of the Swiss 25% rate) if I return to the UK in less than“six months and 1 day”

5.Terms and conditions which could mean that if I am “let go” within 20 working days I will not be paid for those days

6.The high probability that the exchange rate will deteriorate when UK base rates rise in September (as hinted at by the Bank of England), thus making it harder to cover my UK commitments.

When Fred originally contacted me he was proposing a contract that offered UK£80 over my UK daily rate. I assumed this would be sufficient to cover my accommodation and (monthly) flight back to the UK, with the rest being roughly equivalent to a UK contract rate. Unfortunately, this was Fred’s first Swiss contract and he was as naive as I was about the working costs (and environment?). My own investigations revealed that conditions there are very different from my previous European contracts. Never-the-less, I was very keen to work for SwissCo and was prepared to take the reductions in disposable income for an “adventure” out of London.

SwissAgency (UKAgency's chosen Swiss “salary” company) had stated that they would “help with accommodation”, claiming that their reputation would give me access to properties that would otherwise not be available to me as an individual with no track record. They also informed me that rent would be deducted from my salary automatically, which I assumed meant that they would deal with the financial arrangements when something suitable was found. MainContact1 at SwissAgency said that 1000CHF/month would be enough but alarm bells started to ring when he indicated that they could not give further assistance with accommodation or anything other than a vague promise to “help” until AFTER I signed the contract. This is unacceptable, a risk too far, so, after meeting Fred (UKAgency) for the first time on Friday 6th May I decided that a visit to Switzerland at my own cost was necessary to discover the real situation.

On the following Tuesday I arranged to meet MainContact1 andMainContact2 (SwissAgency) (UKAgency not having thought to do so) and MainContact2 mentioned two available apartments which were both more expensive than the figures previously discussed on the phone with MainContact1, one at CHF1800 and another at CHF2500. She recommended the more expensive one as the other was in “the red light district” and I require somewhere quiet, preferably away from the city but on a convenient public transport route. (When checking with them the next day it transpired that both flats had already gone.) MainContact2 made it clear that her role was to “help” on a “best efforts” basis only, which I felt was a contradiction of previous telephone discussions. I also discovered during this meeting that if one is unfortunate enough to be ill a sick note is required (at a cost of CHF200) as well as c.CHF300 per month to be registered with a doctor. All this in addition to the Health Insurance deduction from salary.

After I met you and the rest of the team on Wednesday I followed up some other accommodation opportunities I had discovered myself and found “Serviced accommodation” from someone who is also a SwissCo employee, available on 25th May @ CHF850 per month. It was far from ideal and certainly not a long term possibility but was affordable (a small, very hot room with little ventilation in a noisy downtown area) and may suffice while looking for something more suitable. However, when I contacted SwissAgency about the references and (hopefully) payment of the required deposit(to be deducted from salary as rent) it became clear that they will not help with guarantees, deposits etc. Fred (UKAgency) agreed to investigate whether or not they could help but apparently not. So, all-in-all, it is a “No go”.

I realise that none of this is your problem and want to say that the ONLY part of the whole process that has been in any way positive has been meeting you and your team and visiting SwissCo offices. I would like you to understand why, at what must seem like the last minute, I have changed my mind. In truth I feel that I have been totally misinformed throughout every step of the process by the agencies responsible for placing me. To say that I am extremely disappointed with this entire recruitment process is an understatement. Their sole desire appears to be to hook someone so that they can get their fee. It has been a steep and very expensive learning curve for me which would not have been necessary if they had done their job properly and been upfront about the realities. It only remains for me to wish you and the team good luck with your future applications and working with technology-X, and apologise for the fact that your time has been wasted.

After I drafted the above email the "serviced accommodation" mentioned is looking less likely as the person offering it is struggling to find suitable alternative accommodation that he needs to move his family into to free up the serviced accommodation. ClientCo have several times mentioned a "cheap hotel" at 80CHF/night next to a bus stop as a possibility. On Friday afternoon I finally got the details and it looks very nice (single room in a small family-run hotel in a vineyard) but the cheapest room is advertised at 110CHF/day and after trying to negotiate a better deal I was informed the only offers they made were 3000CHF/month for a whole month payable in advance, but in fact they are fully booked apart from 4 or 5 days for the whole of June anyway.

I've "burnt bridges" with a UK client (by taking time out to investigate what was on offer, reneging on a verbal offer to help them out with 2-3 weeks work before I was due to start in Switzerland), wasted the best part of a week and 1000UKP (last minute flights and two nights hotel) researching this "opportunity" and am very angry at the way the agencies have continually tried to obfuscate the realities of working in Switzerland as a UK contractor.

I'm posting this here as a warning to others, who may find themselves in a similar situation in the future.

I had 2 contracts in Switzerland, in both of which I was very happy (although the UK agent 'forgot' my work visa in the 1st one, giving me an interesting 'Jason Bourne' moment with the Swiss police).

Not everyone gets burnt if they do their research.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by IanSmithUK View Post
      Lots of whining.
      You wrote that to a client to inform them why you wouldn't be taking a contract with them.

At the end of the day you are a business offering a service. I don't care about your accomodation or your tax. I pay an agency to find someone who will, if they can't or won't I'll get someone else. Let me give you an example of how ridiculous you've been. You ask someone to come and tender to paint your house and tell them you have a budget of £2000, they either say yes or no, and if yes a few weeks later they write to you saying 'Sorry but I didn't like the B&B down the road, the paint was more expensive than I thought and wow! I had to pay extra tax / fuel!' then what would you think.

Sounds like the client is better off without you.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I had 2 contracts in Switzerland, in both of which I was very happy (although the UK agent 'forgot' my work visa in the 1st one, giving me an interesting 'Jason Bourne' moment with the Swiss police).

Not everyone gets burnt if they do their research.
        I did my research. Research (in my case) proved expensive. I posted here to help others avoid that expensive research. I'm not sure your post adds anything of value to the conversation without giving any specifics.

Comment

I worked in Vaud and rented rented a non-serviced room.

What I'm adding to the conversation is the opposite view that not everyone has a bad experience working in Switzerland.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            You wrote that to a client to inform them why you wouldn't be taking a contract with them.

At the end of the day you are a business offering a service. I don't care about your accomodation or your tax. I pay an agency to find someone who will, if they can't or won't I'll get someone else. Let me give you an example of how ridiculous you've been. You ask someone to come and tender to paint your house and tell them you have a budget of £2000, they either say yes or no, and if yes a few weeks later they write to you saying 'Sorry but I didn't like the B&B down the road, the paint was more expensive than I thought and wow! I had to pay extra tax / fuel!' then what would you think.

Sounds like the client is better off without you.
            Thanks for that thoughtful and helpful reply </sarcasm>

It's interesting that the same post on the English Swiss forums has elicited a lot of additional useful information for those interested in working in Switzerland and nothing but votes of "Thanks" (those forums let you "thank" or "groan" at a post) and a suggestion from someone happily contracting in Switzerland that I should repeat the post here, where here on the UK forum all I've got is someone coming across as a tosser by being bitchy about MY alleged "whining" when I post information that I think will be useful to others and stop them going through the pain and expense I went through.

I love the fact that you can state that it "sounds like the client is better off without you" (fortunately I have references from previous clients that appear to contradict your intelligent deductions) based on someone reporting on their experience looking at a contract in Switzerland.

Arrogant, much?

And I'm afraid I don't understand why you're confused. The client would have been unaware of what had gone on "behind the scenes". They just want a body with the skills required to complete a piece of work and will be wondering why that body appeared to change their mind at the last minute. I think the email makes it clear what those reasons for the apparent change of heart are. They can choose whether they need to make sure that in future agencies acting on their and their clients behalf need to be far more "honest" about the specifics of what accepting the role will mean.

To use your own hackneyed and rather ridiculous "painter" analogy: my email was the equivalent of declining the paint job, pointing out that the size of the house and the required quality (and hence cost) of the paint hadn't been made clear in original tender requests and that if this information HAD been provided (as it should be in future with prospective service providers) then those supplying paint services wouldn't have wasted their time submitting tenders that wouldn't be at all appropriate for their needs.
            Last edited by IanSmithUK; 14 May 2011, 14:13. Reason: Hackneyed painter analogy

Comment

Originally posted by IanSmithUK View Post
              And I'm afraid I don't understand why you're confused. The client would have been unaware of what had gone on "behind the scenes". They just want a body with the skills required to complete a piece of work and will be wondering why that body appeared to change their mind at the last minute. I think the email makes it clear what those reasons for the apparent change of heart are. They can choose whether they need to make sure that in future agencies acting on their and their clients behalf need to be far more "honest" about the specifics of what accepting the role will mean.
              Concerning the icon I used to question your email. I should have used.
              The client doesn't give a monkeys about your accomodation woes and your long rambling reply to them and your posts so far on here confirm you're a prima donna, hence my comment they are better off without you.

Your original post would be better placed to actually document the 'how' process for attempting to get accomodation and an exact breakdown of the additional costs. That would be helpful.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I worked in Vaud and rented rented a non-serviced room.

What I'm adding to the conversation is the opposite view that not everyone has a bad experience working in Switzerland.
                I think you need to clarify why you didn't have a "bad experience".

There are numerous responses to my post over on the English-Swiss forums where people have not had a "bad experience" but have pointed out they had a significantly reduced standard of living as a result. The two aren't necessarily the same thing. Was your experience "not bad" because you negotiated a rate that meant you had the same standard of living as the UK? Was it simply that the area you chose was very different from areas like Zurich and Geneva where taxes are higher and accommodation is extremely difficult to find? Was it that your contract was renewed past six months so increased UK taxes wasn't an issue? Was it that you had no UK expenses to worry about such that the reduced standard of living wasn't as great as it would be for someone with commitments in the UK?

Without context and detail (which I think I was very specific about in my post) statements like "I didn't have a bad experience" are pretty meaningless.

Comment

Concerning the icon I used to question your email. I should have used.
                  The client doesn't give a monkeys about your accomodation woes and your long rambling reply to them and your posts so far on here confirm you're a prima donna, hence my comment they are better off without you.
                  No but they were somewhat culpable with constant references to a cheap hotel (80 CHF a day) which wasn't at the rate they had indicated and in fact had no vacancies. In your painter anaology terms I was pointing out that they'd got the cost of the paint wrong.

I love how you presume to know what my client would or wouldn't be interested in hearing. Like I said, "arrogant, much?". (For the record I didn't send the email. I drafted it, slept on it and decided there had probably been enough conversation between the agency and the end-client for them to be aware of what the stumbling blocks were, but that wasn't really the point of posting it here - the point was to give information about the differences between what clients/agencies indicate is the situation vs the reality)

One post from me that got a lot of thanks on the only other forum it was posted on (with an audience far more likely to be familiar with the specifics) and a single reply objecting to your rude and insulting reply is enough information for you to class me as a "prima donna". Riiiiiiight!

But let's take the "emotion" out of this and examine the stats. I'm more than happy to post the link to the original copy of this post that have generated many thanks compared to your single, abrupt dismissal that my client is better off without me. You can then total up all the thanks and compare them to your "1" objection post to work out who exactly is the prima donna here (Oh I'm sorry does pointing out hard statistics and facts about reaction to the post from everybody other than you just endorse the whole 'I'm a prima donna' thing? My bad!)

Your original post would be better placed to actually document the 'how' process for attempting to get accomodation and an exact breakdown of the additional costs. That would be helpful.
                  Yeah, or I could just reprint the whole of the 300+ page "Working in Switzerland" book that highlights many of the issues too (although not in enough detail to be that useful). On the one hand you whinge about the "long, rambling reply" (which by the way was precised by two family friends on my behalf - if you think that was long and rambling you should have seen my original draft ) on the other you want me to add a whole bunch of "helpful" information about accommodation. Now I'm the one who's confused.

Comment

Let me give you an example of how ridiculous you've been. You ask someone to come and tender to paint your house and tell them you have a budget of £2000, they either say yes or no, and if yes a few weeks later they write to you saying 'Sorry but I didn't like the B&B down the road, the paint was more expensive than I thought and wow! I had to pay extra tax / fuel!' then what would you think.
                    The analogy is flawed because builders don't have to go through agencies appointed by their clients. Agencies that often create a great deal of unnecessary inconvenience to the service suppliers.

Mr. Smith, I think you did the right thing by writing to the client to explain. If I were a business trying to attract foreign talent, and a qualified person came to my interview, seemed good, but pulled out at the last minute, I would definitely be curious as to why. Then I would reconsider my hiring processes. For instance, I might not want to deal with that type of agency at all in the future.
                    Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Working...
                    X