• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mileage rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage rate

Would you guys say it was normal for a contractor te be expected to travel to a customer and back to the office at his own expense (within the contract rate) or would you expect to be able to claim mileage?

Oh look, Hiram the employee is back

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre
    Would you guys say it was normal for a contractor te be expected to travel to a customer and back to the office at his own expense (within the contract rate) or would you expect to be able to claim mileage?
    what do you think?
    Why not?

Comment

Usual answer - what does the contract say?!

Basically I treat travel to the usual client site as part of my costs, so don't charge them (if they want me somewhere else though, I will charge them mileage). However, subject to the two-year rule of course and assuming it's not a company car, you can quite legally claim your mileage back from YourCo.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I just wondered what was normal. I am being asked to travel about 44 miles return and take a permie as a passenger!

Comment

I just wondered what was normal. I am being asked to travel about 44 miles return and take a permie as a passenger!
          Ah, no. Normally you are asked to turn up at the site. If that has you driving 22 miles from where you live, that's up to you. If you choose to stay overnight instead, that's your choice too (and you pay for it).

But if you're being asked to carry a passenger - are you licensed to do that as part of a commercial contract?

Comment

I'm being asked to travel from the office to the customer and back to the office

Comment

Does your car insurance cover you for business travel?

If you're asked to carry a passenger that opens a whole can of worms...

Comment

I'm being asked to travel from the office to the customer and back to the office
                Then Malvolio is right as usual. What does the contract say?

Is it a request, or is it just what you'd normally do? What happens if your car is out of action? Or even if you decide not to possess one? If it's a requirement then it should be in the contract.

Comment

It's not really a big issue, I've already done it a few times and if they won't pay, I won't loose sleep over it. I've asked the agency to check the contract but at the mo, she is saying that normally, it is included in the contract rate.

I'm just trying to ascertain what you guys would "normally expect", not what my contract actually says

Comment

It's not really a big issue, I've already done it a few times and if they won't pay, I won't loose sleep over it. I've asked the agency to check the contract but at the mo, she is saying that normally, it is included in the contract rate.

I'm just trying to ascertain what you guys would "normally expect", not what my contract actually says
                    If you are being asked to travel to another site other than your contracted place of work then I would say that is not within your normal rate (but your contract may say otherwise).
                    Dont ask the agent, make your own decision.

Secondly. Carrying a passenger as a request to your business opens you up to all sorts of insurance nightmares should the worst happen.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X