• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone worked at (or is working at) Co-op financial services in Manchester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone worked at (or is working at) Co-op financial services in Manchester

Got a phone interview booked, excellent rate and will probably take it if offered. Just wondered if anyone has worked there before and has any insight into the place, it's working atmosphere, etc

Thanks
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

I did a spell there about 8 or 9 years ago, if it's the one on Dantzic St. I must admit it was the most depressing place I ever worked.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
      Got a phone interview booked, excellent rate and will probably take it if offered. Just wondered if anyone has worked there before and has any insight into the place, it's working atmosphere, etc

Thanks
      Did half a dozen years there as a permie before I went contracting, loads of friends are still there. Some good guys, some plebs - depends which department you end up in. Chances are Change Management as they are recruiting for the bank transformation projects like mad - hence the good rates. Loads of contractors on that project so you can't fail in finding some allies.

Overall, if I hadn't have done it myself for so many years, I'd be there like a shot. Good project, good rates and will likely last for ages.

Although as per the post above... the building does resemble Castle Greyskull. But i've worked in much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
        I did a spell there about 8 or 9 years ago, if it's the one on Dantzic St. I must admit it was the most depressing place I ever worked.

Hope this helps
        You sure you weren't working at Co-op Funeral Services?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

I was, though there are (or were) a few of the Co-op buildings along that street / area.

Location is handy for city centre though, but everything else was pants - including project getting canned mid term

Comment

I am there at the moment for my second spell as a contractor.

There is a lot of work at the moment so good news for contractors. There is definately a bit of difference in working culture between the Manchester and the Skelmersdale offices

Comment

Thanks everyone. Still waiting to hear if they want to bring me on board. Meanwhile ... had a last minute extension (number 11 at current client) come through. Less money, probably the last one but much easier commute. Will have to see
              Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by hatter View Post
                I am there at the moment for my second spell as a contractor.

There is a lot of work at the moment so good news for contractors. There is definately a bit of difference in working culture between the Manchester and the Skelmersdale offices
                Oh yes, forgot about lovely Skelmersdale

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  I have done that gig, did a desktop client rollout for them back in 2002, had to visit all the funeral parlours and upgrade PC's. That was a dead end gig

Regards CFS, have a few freinds working there at the moment, aparently its manic at the moment, there is the Brittania Merger, Core Banking Replacement, and Project Unitiy on the horizion.

Half expecting to go there after current contract. Central Manchester is much preferable to Wythenshawe as a working locaiton!
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

yeah, I'd avoid Co-Op in Manchester if I were you. Worked there years ago. Never experienced a more mind-numbing workplace in my working life. Couldn't leave fast enough. Talk about 'paralysis by analysis'......geez...think some people had been there too long......they don't listen very well to outside advice which is why stuff takes so long.....only go there if your career doesn't matter as a contractor !

Comment

Working...
                    X