• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Boiler

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Boiler

Have any of you lot had their boiler replaced? There is nothing wrong with the one we have other than it's old and will be hugely inefficient compared to the ones available at the moment. I've searched on the net, but there seems to be very little in terms of what I'm likely to have to fork out. The British Gas website estimates our potential (made up) savings to be in the region of £335 a year.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Have any of you lot had their boiler replaced? There is nothing wrong with the one we have other than it's old and will be hugely inefficient compared to the ones available at the moment. I've searched on the net, but there seems to be very little in terms of what I'm likely to have to fork out. The British Gas website estimates our potential (made up) savings to be in the region of £335 a year.
    335 ?

Thats one heck of a saving. i have trouble believing that

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      335 ?

me too - that's why I said made up. But googling our boiler, its rated at G. It's also 30 years old and the original one from when our house was built and when it was a 3 bedroom house rather than the 4 bedroom house it is now. So it's the boiler equivalent of putting a pensioner on a very fast treadmill.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        So it's the boiler equivalent of putting a pensioner on a very fast treadmill.
        wow, that sounds great. I'd pay to see that. not £335 though, maybe £100

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          335 ?

Gotta beleive British Gas, they are the experts...

Thanks, Chris

(currently at British Gas)

Comment

If it's 30 years old then I can believe you might halve you bills.

We had one like that, an old back-boiler, that died and couldn't be fixed. Actually opted for a modern back-boiler on the basis it would be less work involved tearing the house to bits, wouldn't risk damage tot he plumbing with higher-pressure, etc. As it turned out lots was so old it had to be replaced and going with a standard combi would've been at least as easy and a bit cheaper too.

It will take quite a few years to pay for itself but if you are there long-term it's worth it. On the other hand, it might help when selling that you don't have something so antique.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

We're just going through this at the moment. We have a 36 year old boiler that still works. It's a big beast rated at 59Kw and they are talking about replacing it with two smaller boilers which I think is a very bad idea as it's twice as much to go wrong.

British gas have slapped a warning notice on the boiler for poor ventilation but that's just scare tactics. They've also told us they can't get parts which I also take with a pinch of salt.

British Gas are coming round today to quote us properly. I will then get a couple of quotes from local tradespeople to see what they reckon.

At the end of the day the boiler is still working even though it's not covered with a service contract. I'm tempted to wait until it dies before replacing it. It's worked for the last 36 years and I'm not bothered too much about how "green" it is.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                We're just going through this at the moment. We have a 36 year old boiler that still works. It's a big beast rated at 59Kw ..... It's worked for the last 36 years and I'm not bothered too much about how "green" it is.
                green ??? 59kwh ?? you would need the whole street to have solar panels installed, the sun to shine 24 hours a day and large windmill stuck up yer bum to power THAT bastid

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

they are talking about replacing it with two smaller boilers which I think is a very bad idea as it's twice as much to go wrong.
                  Seems odd. Is that 59 output or usage... if the latter a modern 40 one might be as effective?

British gas have slapped a warning notice on the boiler for poor ventilation but that's just scare tactics. They've also told us they can't get parts which I also take with a pinch of salt.
                  There are strict rules so it's not scare tactics just the law, unfortunately. If your old boiler goes you will then need to comply once you get a new one, and the house would not likely meet these requirements based on the age. Holes in the floor and/or wall... but if you get a new boiler they do this as standard.
                  The problem will be getting anyone to touch your old boiler. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are right about parts. We had an independent guy out when we thought we were being spun the same line, he was doubtful and told us exactly what parts we needed so we could look for ourselves; "I'll fit it if you can find it" he said, and we couldn't.

British Gas are coming round today to quote us properly. I will then get a couple of quotes from local tradespeople to see what they reckon.

At the end of the day the boiler is still working even though it's not covered with a service contract. I'm tempted to wait until it dies before replacing it. It's worked for the last 36 years and I'm not bothered too much about how "green" it is.[/QUOTE]
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Correct on both counts. If the poor ventilation were a danger they'd condemn it and disconnect it.

I've had the "can't get parts" story. More like the suppliers cut their credit off for not paying on time, or some such.

"In the old days we would have made a new gasket ourselves...
                    "but we are only allowed to use manufacturers' part nowadays...
                    "the manufacturer doesn't make these parts anymore..."

Tosh. When you've worked in engineering trades you can smell the brown stuff a mile away.

And then 6 months later I read that employees were getting cash bonuses for recommending a new boiler.

British Gas used to subcontract work like this. Expect their quotes to be roughly what local tradespeople quote plus a markup of a third or so. They'll use a local subcontractor to do the quote anyway.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X