• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Explorer is crap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Explorer is crap

Just selected 15000 files right clicked selection and clicked delete from context menu.

Got the confirm file delete dialog and hit enter as Yes has input focus.

OS then opens 15000 instances of notepad each with a modal dialog attached telling me cannot find file xyz (presumably because the files did actually get deleted).

Must have hit some interesting boundary condition here.

Use proper file manager - Far Manager Official Site : screenshots

HTH

Comment

Windows Explorer drives me potty for so many reasons.

If you shuffle files about, the file list pane soon gets stale. You'd think the least it could do is keep everything up to date.

When you click on a directory in the directory pane, the list repositions itself. That's possibly the most annoying and unergonomic feature. Why can't it just stay still and leave repositioning to the user>?!

File names are truncated by the ridiculous file name pane, despite their being acres of unused space to its right in the window.

Thanks for the tip Alexie. Must try that this evening.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Use proper file manager - Far Manager Official Site : screenshots

HTH
        I just use the Finder
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
          I just use the Finder
          FAR can: copy, move, find, edit (including via transparent FTP) etc etc etc - it's what Norton Commander had in mind before he sold out to Symantec.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
            I just use the Finder
            WIFS -

Using explorer by day finder by night. Explorer (most windows interfacing for that matter) drives me potty.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

XTree Fan Page
              Me, me, me...

Comment

I use robocopy for copying.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  File names are truncated by the ridiculous file name pane, despite their being acres of unused space to its right in the window.
                  That's not the only area of Winders that does stuff like that.

Here's an example of the progress window as it comes up for a Server 2008 backup:

Code:
                  Name               Status      Data Transf...
                  Win2008 (C:)       Backup ...  59.01 GB of...
                  Virtual Disks ...  Backup...   245.89 GB
                  Here's how it looks after resizing columns 2 and 3 with the mouse:

Code:
                  Name               Status             Data Transferred
                  Win2008 (C:)       Backup completed   59.91 GB of 59.91 GB
                  Virtual Disks ...  Backup completed   245.89 GB of 245.89 GB
                  And that's it. The window won't go any larger, so I have to choose which column is left truncrated.

There are tons of other dialog window examples where you have to muck around with the mouse just to see what should be there by default.

Another example - EVNTWIN.EXE. Even when maximised on a large monitor, only the bottom right quarter of the screen is available for Event Id's and descriptions, and you have to scroll horizontally to see the full description.

Off to the bug bears thread now...
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                  X