• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BTL in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTL in London

Been years since I worked in London but with a view to
    Do a little contracting up there next year I am toting with buying a small two bedded flat.

Price limit of 400k, where would be the best place to get a 2 bed place that would rent out or take a tenant? Oh what should the rent be?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I've got 2 house in the UK, I live in neither.

Should I sell one of them or both?

Was thinking we've registered ourselves out here in Germany with all our belongings and yet we're still serving tenants back home. Should we sell or keep letting?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What should the rent be?
      I heard a figure of 4% return but that seems kind of risky with interest rates this low.

If you had a 3% mortgage that means you need to be letting with an income of 7% then, £28k pa => £2333pcm.

Is that right as far as defining 'return'?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Price limit of 400k
        In London this will only be enough to buy a dog house and you'll have to live next door to sasguru in Winksworth.

You'll also have to face stiff competition from likes of DimPrawn trying to escape grim north.

HTH

Comment

Everything I'm reading is that London and only London is holding
          It's prices and is set to rise. It's also easy to rent, but yield is not great.

So if London will hold value or a slight increase may be worth it. Everything else I read says avoid property!

Comment

Interest rates would make me very nervous unless of course buying with a small or zero mortgage. If they jump up to 5% you could find yourself with a property you can't sell and can't cover the costs for.

The problem as I see it is loads of properties were bought before the prices boomed, on mortgages which are now at 1.5%. You can't compete since you have to pay more and can't get such a low mortgage rate.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Wait until an IRA kaboom, people will flee prices will drop.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                The problem as I see it is loads of properties were bought before the prices boomed, on mortgages which are now at 1.5%. You can't compete since you have to pay more and can't get such a low mortgage rate.

Cough, don't want to brag but I'm going to, my 1st let house is 0.49% above base

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Everything I'm reading is that London and only London is holding
                  It's prices and is set to rise. It's also easy to rent, but yield is not great.

So if London will hold value or a slight increase may be worth it. Everything else I read says avoid property!
                  A major factor in London prices holding might be down to the Olympics next year. I'd hang fire if I were you. You don't want to end up like sasguru, living out in your eco-shed winking to keep warm because you can't afford to heat the main gaff!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Interest rates would make me very nervous unless of course buying with a small or zero mortgage. If they jump up to 5% you could find yourself with a property you can't sell and can't cover the costs for.

It would be no mortgage, so it's a pure return basis.

Does 400k buy anything in a decent place though in London?

Comment

Working...
                    X