PDA

View Full Version : Sockie detection software

russell
16th May 2011, 21:29
Surley this is a trivial piece of code? You track IP addresses for every session and then match them against other users? Could be built in to the forum software so it shows a sock next to apparent culprits and a list of their sockies on their profile page.

AtW
16th May 2011, 21:39
What for?

We like to play with sockies. Until they break :devil

russell
16th May 2011, 21:41
What for?

We like to play with sockies. Until they break :devil

This thread was a test, those who oppose the idea have sockies!!!!!!!

NickFitz
16th May 2011, 21:48
OK, I'll bite :rolleyes:

IP addresses don't work; they never really have, but these days they're a complete washout as far as tracking users is concerned.

I can very easily make three posts using three different usernames in less than thirty seconds with three different IP addresses, and two of those IP addresses I may never post from again - or they may also be used by large numbers of other posters at the same time as me:

Post from my laptop with a browser logged in as username A, using a mobile broadband dongle, then disconnect;

Post from iPhone, logged in as username B;

Post from my laptop with a different browser logged in as username C; after I disconnected in step 1 above, the laptop has gone back to using my WiFi connection to cable broadband.

Both 1 and 2 are going to be using DHCP addresses on the mobile operator's network, which will be routing through one of their numerous proxies. There's a good chance I'll get a different proxy next time I use either of those connections, and other users can easily be routed through a proxy I've previously used, or am using at the same time. Method 3 varies, but in my case I use Virgin cable broadband, which doesn't guarantee a fixed IP address; mine hasn't changed in over a year, but I know it was different two years ago. So even blocking that doesn't guarantee anything.

Also, most people behind a corporate firewall will appear to be coming from the same proxy. For example, a friend of mine gets Spanish ads on web sites he views from his office in Milton Keynes, due to his company routing all of Europe's web access through a proxy in Madrid.

russell
16th May 2011, 21:53

IP addresses don't work; they never really have, but these days they're a complete washout as far as tracking users is concerned.

I can very easily make three posts using three different usernames in less than thirty seconds with three different IP addresses, and two of those IP addresses I may never post from again - or they may also be used by large numbers of other posters at the same time as me:

Post from my laptop with a browser logged in as username A, using a mobile broadband dongle, then disconnect;

Post from my laptop with a different browser logged in as username C; after I disconnected in step 1 above, the laptop has gone back to using my WiFi connection to cable broadband.

Both 1 and 2 are going to be using DHCP addresses on the mobile operator's network, which will be routing through one of their numerous proxies. There's a good chance I'll get a different proxy next time I use either of those connections, and other users can easily be routed through a proxy I've previously used, or am using at the same time. Method 3 varies, but in my case I use Virgin cable broadband, which doesn't guarantee a fixed IP address; mine hasn't changed in over a year, but I know it was different two years ago. So even blocking that doesn't guarantee anything.

Also, most people behind a corporate firewall will appear to be coming from the same proxy. For example, a friend of mine gets Spanish ads on web sites he views from his office in Milton Keynes, due to his company routing all of Europe's web access through a proxy in Madrid.

Ok

:igmc:

MarillionFan
16th May 2011, 21:55
Ok

You have just heard from the Sauron of Sockies! :eek:

AtW
16th May 2011, 21:56
You have just heard from the Sauron of Sockies! :eek:

It's always the quiet one, innit? :smokin

MarillionFan
16th May 2011, 22:01
It's always the quiet one, innit? :smokin

9 Monday Links to bind them all.

AtW
16th May 2011, 22:05

:spel

ban

russell
16th May 2011, 22:06

http://msnsmileys.net/l/smileys/Lord_Of_The_Rings/Eye.gif

Spacecadet
16th May 2011, 22:26
:spel

ban

Blind

Or was that one-a-day?

ThomasSoerensen
17th May 2011, 08:24

Ok

ha ha ha ha
:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

I nominate this as Post of the Day

d000hg
17th May 2011, 08:39
It was a very naive bluff from a sockie who knew this to start with and was trying to pull the proverbial over our eyes.

russell
17th May 2011, 08:42
It was a very naive bluff from a sockie who knew this to start with and was trying to pull the proverbial over our eyes.

You give me too much credit Mr Bond

SimonMac
17th May 2011, 08:57
I'm all for Sockies, some of the best people on here are sockies, I am just offended that someone thought I was ATW's even though I had my Likedin profile on show for god knows how long!

d000hg
17th May 2011, 09:07
You give me too much credit Mr BondI'll try to lower my opinion of you, it might not be easy.

russell
17th May 2011, 09:12
I'm all for Sockies, some of the best people on here are sockies, I am just offended that someone thought I was ATW's even though I had my Likedin profile on show for god knows how long!

Yeah as it's impossible to create a fake LinkedIn profile :rolleyes:

DaveB
17th May 2011, 11:12
Easy.

IF Username = "Russell" then IsASockie=True;

Job done.

SimonMac
17th May 2011, 11:18
Yeah as it's impossible to create a fake LinkedIn profile :rolleyes:

With the amount of recommendations I had?

I demand a public apology and only then will I stop my one man mission to neg the tulip outta you!

russell
17th May 2011, 11:23
With the amount of recommendations I had?

I demand a public apology and only then will I stop my one man mission to neg the tulip outta you!

As soon as you apologise for calling me a sockie.

SimonMac
17th May 2011, 11:24
As soon as you apologise for calling me a sockie.

I called you a Knut not a sockie :)