• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sockie detection software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sockie detection software

Surley this is a trivial piece of code? You track IP addresses for every session and then match them against other users? Could be built in to the forum software so it shows a sock next to apparent culprits and a list of their sockies on their profile page.

What for?

We like to play with sockies. Until they break

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      What for?

We like to play with sockies. Until they break
      This thread was a test, those who oppose the idea have sockies!!!!!!!

Comment

OK, I'll bite

IP addresses don't work; they never really have, but these days they're a complete washout as far as tracking users is concerned.

I can very easily make three posts using three different usernames in less than thirty seconds with three different IP addresses, and two of those IP addresses I may never post from again - or they may also be used by large numbers of other posters at the same time as me:
        1. Post from my laptop with a browser logged in as username A, using a mobile broadband dongle, then disconnect;

2. Post from iPhone, logged in as username B;

3. Post from my laptop with a different browser logged in as username C; after I disconnected in step 1 above, the laptop has gone back to using my WiFi connection to cable broadband.

Both 1 and 2 are going to be using DHCP addresses on the mobile operator's network, which will be routing through one of their numerous proxies. There's a good chance I'll get a different proxy next time I use either of those connections, and other users can easily be routed through a proxy I've previously used, or am using at the same time. Method 3 varies, but in my case I use Virgin cable broadband, which doesn't guarantee a fixed IP address; mine hasn't changed in over a year, but I know it was different two years ago. So even blocking that doesn't guarantee anything.

Also, most people behind a corporate firewall will appear to be coming from the same proxy. For example, a friend of mine gets Spanish ads on web sites he views from his office in Milton Keynes, due to his company routing all of Europe's web access through a proxy in Madrid.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          OK, I'll bite

IP addresses don't work; they never really have, but these days they're a complete washout as far as tracking users is concerned.

I can very easily make three posts using three different usernames in less than thirty seconds with three different IP addresses, and two of those IP addresses I may never post from again - or they may also be used by large numbers of other posters at the same time as me:
          1. Post from my laptop with a browser logged in as username A, using a mobile broadband dongle, then disconnect;

2. Post from iPhone, logged in as username B;

3. Post from my laptop with a different browser logged in as username C; after I disconnected in step 1 above, the laptop has gone back to using my WiFi connection to cable broadband.

Both 1 and 2 are going to be using DHCP addresses on the mobile operator's network, which will be routing through one of their numerous proxies. There's a good chance I'll get a different proxy next time I use either of those connections, and other users can easily be routed through a proxy I've previously used, or am using at the same time. Method 3 varies, but in my case I use Virgin cable broadband, which doesn't guarantee a fixed IP address; mine hasn't changed in over a year, but I know it was different two years ago. So even blocking that doesn't guarantee anything.

Also, most people behind a corporate firewall will appear to be coming from the same proxy. For example, a friend of mine gets Spanish ads on web sites he views from his office in Milton Keynes, due to his company routing all of Europe's web access through a proxy in Madrid.
          Ok

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            Ok

You have just heard from the Sauron of Sockies!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              You have just heard from the Sauron of Sockies!
              It's always the quiet one, innit?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                It's always the quiet one, innit?
                9 Monday Links to bind them all.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

ban

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X