• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lizzie visits Ireland!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lizzie visits Ireland!!

BBC News - Queen in Ireland: Chequered history behind visit

Some factoids!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

You'd think in the interests of security they send a queen not The Queen
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Already a few diffused bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        The taigs are welcoming her with fireworks, how nice!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Will the EU agree with Ireland spend their money on the visit?

8,000 gardaí gear up for
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            Will the EU agree with Ireland spend their money on the visit?

8,000 gardaí gear up for
            quid pro quo just as I doubt the majority of the UK tax payers were happy to pay for the policing of the Pope's visit
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              Crazy. Bombs are completely indiscriminate. Any bomb attack on a royal visit is likely to cause injury or death to innocent bystanders. I expect that the majority of Irish people will be very angry about bomb attacks or attempts, and rightly so.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Crazy. Bombs are completely indiscriminate. Any bomb attack on a royal visit is likely to cause injury or death to innocent bystanders. I expect that the majority of Irish people will be very angry about bomb attacks or attempts, and rightly so.
                Indeed.

I'm actually really worried about it. I think it's Thursday that she visits my home town, quite a few of my family are in the army some of my friends have husbands in either the Gardai or the army and I worry for all their safety, not just the Queens.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  Indeed.

I'm actually really worried about it. I think it's Thursday that she visits my home town, quite a few of my family are in the army some of my friends have husbands in either the Gardai or the army and I worry for all their safety, not just the Queens.
                  Well I think that if something does happen it would only strengthen the will of the majority to sort things out peacefully. Just think of this; the Irish security people found a bomb on a bus. A bus! Who uses the bus and what in heaven's name is that going to achieve? Kill a couple of OAP's? Kids on their way to school? Young mothers out doing the shopping? I think the reaction in Ireland would be absolute fury and the 'real IRA' would lose even more of the tiny amount of support they have. As for the police and the army; they're brave people and they have to be to do that job in Ireland; I'm sure they'll gain the respect of a lot of people for what they're doing.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Rather than peddling this great myth of Britain shafting Ireland over the centuries what you have is the following:

The Irish protesters who gathered on the streets of Dublin at the weekend branded Britain "the neighbour from hell" as they demonstrated against the Queen's forthcoming visit to the Republic of Ireland.

Hardline dissident republicans held placards, waved flags and voiced their hostility towards the British crown. They vowed to make sure that the Queen's first trip to Dublin would be her last.

The demonstration on Sunday afternoon in the city centre was heavily publicised in advance. It was billed as a chance for Dubliners to let the world see the depth of Irish opposition to the high-profile British visitor.

How many people turned up? About 50.
                    BBC News - Queen in Ireland: Royal visit fails to ignite passions

I have been to Ireland countless times, twice whilst serving to Cork and Dublin. The Irish are lovely people who almost to a man couldn't give a tulip about what is happening up North anymore. They want peace, they want an end to the hostility. You get more problems about perceived Irishness in Glasgow, Belfast and Boston than you ever do in Dublin.

I have served with Irishmen who were as proud to wear the uniform as I was. 7000 Irish servicemen and women died in conflict during WW2, this is more than any of the political troubles post 1916. You pay them a great disservice spouting this nationalist crap. Most Irishmen I have spoken to and drunk with want absolutely nothing to do with the scumbags in the North. Right now it is Britain's issue, they do not want it to become Ireland's issue.

There is a reason why Sinn Fein are a Northern Irish party with little presence in the South.
                    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X