• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DNA Evidence - rights and wrongs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNA Evidence - rights and wrongs

Man jailed for Ripper deception

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4828828.stm

"His identity was discovered 25 years later when his DNA, taken after a minor offence, was matched against saliva on an envelope sent to detectives. "

I dont want to get into a debate about the stupidty of what this fella did (arguably indirectly costing the lives of an extra couple of women through his actions) but what does concern me is the use of DNA evidence the coppers took after a minor offence.

It cannot be right that DNA samples are taken after a minor offence and stored in a database to be used forever more.

They will be taking DNA samples at birth next.

What have you got to hide?

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
      It cannot be right that DNA samples are taken after a minor offence and stored in a database to be used forever more.

Who's to say they don't?

It's actually a lot worse than that, EO. The police can (and do) forcibly take a DNA sample from you if you are arrested, regardless of whether you are subsequently charged or cautioned or not. Also, the police no longer need to suspect a crime has been committed in order to arrest you. It is only sufficient that the arresting officer considers it necessary.

So there you go: the police can now forcibly take a DNA sample from any citizen at any time for any reason (or even for no reason).

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
        What have you got to hide?
        My humanity and the personal freedoms our ancestors fought hard for and won so that I could live in a free and fair country.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box

So there you go: the police can now forcibly take a DNA sample from any citizen at any time for any reason (or even for no reason).
          What happens if I refuse to provide a sample ? - by stealing my cells shirley they are violating my human rights (cue Cherie Bliar)

Comment

My humanity and the personal freedoms our ancestors fought hard for and won so that I could live in a free and fair country.
            Agreed, but it's far too late in the UK.

The police can now deprive a citizen of his or her liberty without having to give a reason (a power shortly to be extended to the CPS so that the state can detain citizens directly for the first time since Magna Carta), plus the government will shortly be able to enact primary legislation without recourse to parliament.

Comment

What happens if I refuse to provide a sample ? - by stealing my cells shirley they are violating my human rights (cue Cherie Bliar)
              The police are empowered to take a sample by force (they hold you down while an oral swab is taken). Remember, they do not have to suspect that a crime has been committed and it makes no difference if you are later released without charge.

But, hey, if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                Agreed, but it's far too late in the UK.

The police can now deprive a citizen of his or her liberty without having to give a reason (a power shortly to be extended to the CPS so that the state can detain citizens directly for the first time since Magna Carta), plus the government will shortly be able to enact primary legislation without recourse to parliament.
                Its never too late LB, the difficulty is convincing the hard of thinking just how bad things have become.

Being a little bit of a coward I am truly scared of the future in the UK - I just wish I could make Mrs. Nomad see things as they really are.

Comment

Its never too late LB.
                  I hope so, but I fear the worst. The hard of thinking masses seem to be welcoming this sort of thing with open arms.

Comment

Blood is routinely taken at birth. Has been for years. Of course the results of any tests performed etc never leave the hospital... apprently.

Comment

Working...
                    X