PDA

View Full Version : Permies

russell
17th May 2011, 09:11
I sit amongst permies and they keep harping on about buying things like an new Ipad or some geek object. The other permies then go on as if they have bought a Porsche, "My wife would kill me if I did that..." etc. I mean being a contractor an Ipad is a days pay and I wouldn't even think about it.

cailin maith
17th May 2011, 09:17
I sit amongst permies and they keep harping on about buying things like an new Ipad or some geek object. The other permies then go on as if they have bought a Porsche, "My wife would kill me if I did that..." etc. I mean being a contractor an Ipad is a days pay and I wouldn't even think about it.

Well, it's not a days pay to a permie is it?

Good for you if you don't need to think about it. But you are coming across as a right arrogant knob.

Yesterday I was kinda feeling sorry for you, with everyone giving you grief and then you go and post shit like this.

MrMark
17th May 2011, 09:21

Good for you if you don't need to think about it. But you are coming across as a right arrogant knob.

Yesterday I was kinda feeling sorry for you, with everyone giving you grief and then you go and post tulip like this.

Spot on.

EternalOptimist
17th May 2011, 09:24
I mean being a contractor an Ipad is a days pay and I wouldn't even think about it.

A days pay ? did you take the afternoon off or something

SasGuru

russell
17th May 2011, 09:27

Yesterday I was kinda feeling sorry for you, with everyone giving you grief and then you go and post tulip like this.

What we not allowed to gloat over permies anymore not even in a contractor forum, what is the world coming to?

d000hg
17th May 2011, 09:28
Working on the "it's 'only' a day's pay" principle can easily lead to spending all your money. After all my rent might only be 2 day's pay but that doesn't mean it's not a substantial chunk of money.

amcdonald
17th May 2011, 09:29
Theres one disabled chap at current gig who really gets a lot of benefits from his iPad

For most though, they're overpriced toys and rather difficult to justify their your wife/gf on a permie wage

cailin maith
17th May 2011, 09:31

SasGuru

:laugh Ok so that made me laugh.

russell, that wasn't gloating it was sneering.

MarillionFan
17th May 2011, 09:33

A day! Bah!

I bought my Ipad after shifting 50 sledges one cold afternoon in December. Bloody contractors haven;t got a clue. :eyes

russell
17th May 2011, 09:34
:laugh Ok so that made me laugh.

russell, that wasn't gloating it was sneering.

Ok I see how it may have came across that way. It was done before my morning coffee if that offers any kind of an excuse.

MarillionFan
17th May 2011, 09:36
Ok I see how it may have came across that way. It was done before my morning coffee if that offers any kind of an excuse.

First rule of general is 'never apologise'

EO

eek
17th May 2011, 09:36
Theres one disabled chap at current gig who really gets a lot of benefits from his iPad

For most though, they're overpriced toys and rather difficult to justify their your wife/gf on a permie wage

It is a toy but I've found two uses for it recently. One is geeky but its a brillant tool when you want to grab or check documentation while at a client site.

d000hg
17th May 2011, 09:38
A day! Bah!

I bought my Ipad after shifting 50 sledges one cold afternoon in December. Bloody contractors haven;t got a clue. :eyes£2000 in a day isn't great if you sold nothing the month before or after and then went out of business.

HTH.

EternalOptimist
17th May 2011, 09:40
I have only one word to say about the ipad - Angry Birds

ok, thats two words. all I can hear all evening is 'boing boing' and the cackle of a flock of hysterical penguins or puffins or something , taking off

it puts me off my beer

:rolleyes:

NorthWestPerm2Contr
17th May 2011, 09:43
What we not allowed to gloat over permies anymore not even in a contractor forum, what is the world coming to?

Watch what you say as these things often come back to haunt you. Imagine in 10 years those same permies become contractors and laugh at your poor permie wages.

SimonMac
17th May 2011, 09:44

SasGuru

:rollin:

doodab
17th May 2011, 09:44
I wouldn't even think about it.

Neither would I. A tattoo that says "I am a ****" is

cheaper
doesn't need recharging frequently
doesn't require you to bollocks up an otherwise perfectly good computer by installing iTunes

MarillionFan
17th May 2011, 09:45
It is a toy but I've found two uses for it recently. One is geeky but its a brillant tool when you want to grab or check documentation while at a client site.

Actually we use our daily. I wake up, read the newspaper on it in bed, post some shite on CUK, check my shares and weather. The missus plays games on it before bed while we let the kids watch tv on it with an app or videos. When we travel we put it in the back of the car with some speakers and we took it on holiday so they could watch tv while we used the broadband connection to get our mail.

eek
17th May 2011, 09:54
Actually we use our daily. I wake up, read the newspaper on it in bed, post some tulipe on CUK, check my shares and weather. The missus plays games on it before bed while we let the kids watch tv on it with an app or videos. When we travel we put it in the back of the car with some speakers and we took it on holiday so they could watch tv while we used the broadband connection to get our mail.

I've stopped my children from playing on it. For the people I know with cash and a single ipad there seems to be a habit of them rapidly multiplying into individual devices. 2 adults and 2 children = 4 ipads.

NotAllThere
17th May 2011, 10:05
... I mean being a contractor an Ipad is a days pay and I wouldn't even think about it.I wouldn't think about it either. Devices for the masses.

d000hg
17th May 2011, 10:07
I wouldn't think about it either. Devices for the masses.Like a smartphone then. Or a laptop.

doodab
17th May 2011, 10:09
I have found that the more connected everything gets the more I need to make an effort to disconnect. Peace and quiet is now a luxury item.

russell
17th May 2011, 10:10
Like a smartphone then. Or a laptop.

Or a TV, I bought an Ipad because it was better than a laptop for surfing the web/emails etc around the house. I haven't checked the market recently but at that time it was the best tablet.

EternalOptimist
17th May 2011, 10:14
I have found that the more connected everything gets the more I need to make an effort to disconnect. Peace and quiet is now a luxury item.

aye. I havn't worn a watch for ten years, and my mobile phone lies unused in a drawer in the spare room

in fact, i tried to set up a blog a few weeks ago, but the registration required a moblie number so they could text me. When I put the landline number in, it blew me out, so I gave up.
connectedness fascists

TimberWolf
17th May 2011, 10:17

LookTel - Mobile Object Recognition and Remote Assistance Solutions for Visually Impaired Users (http://www.looktel.com/)

LookTel is a planned suite of assistive solutions for people with visual impairments or blindness.

Signed-up CUKers have have so far led blind people to the edge of quarries, a cliff edge, an active volcano and a fish shop. And they only wanted directions to the local shops too. :rolleyes:

Joking aside, seems like a neat app.

doodab
17th May 2011, 10:25
aye. I havn't worn a watch for ten years, and my mobile phone lies unused in a drawer in the spare room

I haven't worn a watch since I was about 7 or 8 and I received a digital one with a stopwatch for my birthday, which I knackered whilst falling off my bike about 2 hours later. So that's 20 or 30 years without even owning one (although actually I do have the child's wind up timex one I was given as a christening present).