• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The extremes of human nature

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The extremes of human nature

Yesterday some people placed a bomb in a bus in Ireland, obviously hoping to blow up some innocent civilians as a response to the queen's visit.

Today some people got into that bus, kneeled down in front of the bomb knowing that even if they don't make the tiniest mistake it could blow up in their faces at any time, and defused it.

I know who I'd rather buy a pint.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yesterday some people placed a bomb in a bus in Ireland, obviously hoping to blow up some innocent civilians as a response to the queen's visit.

Today some people got into that bus, kneeled down in front of the bomb knowing that even if they don't make the tiniest mistake it could blow up in their faces at any time, and defused it.

I know who I'd rather buy a pint.
    Yeah I admire the bomb disposals teams, it must take a lot of nerve. I know I couldn't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
      Yeah I admire the bomb disposals teams, it must take a lot of nerve. I know I couldn't do it.
      We'd all like to see you try, what is the worst that can happen?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Just make sure that you don't buy them that pint before they start.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          We'd all like to see you try, what is the worst that can happen?
          Trust you to derail a thread about a serious subject with petty insults.

Comment

These bombs are not destined to explode. They're merely to attract attention and in the eyes of the "Real IRA" legitimise their existence by opening up their own channels of communcation with the security services.

Full marks to the Irish EOD boys though.
            Last edited by Churchill; 17 May 2011, 10:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              These bombs are not destined to explode.
              Thats a bummer, We had an Everton fans charabanc all lined up to go over there,

it's the only chance we have of seeing an open-topped bus this season

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                ...kneeled down in front of the bomb knowing that even if they don't make the tiniest mistake it could blow up in their faces at any time....
                That's also mostly true of the people that set it. I don't think they're necessarily at the extreme ends of human nature. I'd have run a mile from the thing at either end of the process.

Though I'd probably agree as to who I'd rather drink a pint with.
                Last edited by thunderlizard; 17 May 2011, 12:22.

Comment

Bah! I'd have defused it with no qualms at all. As long as I had had my few pints (of vodka) first. In Nelson's day sailors used to get gin before a battle, do the SAS get a fix?
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                  X