PDA

View Full Version : "Five years experience of JQuery"

NickFitz
17th May 2011, 11:00
Meanwhile, over at the source code repository: JQuery 1.0 (https://github.com/jquery/jquery/tree/1.0), August 31, 2006 :rolleyes:

MrMark
17th May 2011, 11:01
I'm sure Bob will have the necessary.

DimPrawn
17th May 2011, 11:02
Pah,

You have to include the pre pre Alpha in your "X years experience".

Everyone knows that.

:rolleyes:

MarillionFan
17th May 2011, 11:02
Meanwhile, over at the source code repository: JQuery 1.0 (https://github.com/jquery/jquery/tree/1.0), August 31, 2006 :rolleyes:

Another example of pedantic logic. Do you wonder why you struggle to get work? :eyes

NickFitz
17th May 2011, 11:03
Another example of pedantic logic. Do you wonder why you struggle to get work? :eyes

What makes you think that?

MarillionFan
17th May 2011, 11:04
What makes you think that?

The former or the latter?

amcdonald
17th May 2011, 11:13
Anyone who uses a browsers probably has five years experience of JQuery

Now five years experience using JQuery developing websites would be a different matter

NickFitz
17th May 2011, 11:13
The former or the latter?

Either really. The logic is not pedantic: attention to detail and technical precision are essential skills if one is to be a competent software developer. One of the reasons I don't struggle to get work is because I have such skills.

MarillionFan
17th May 2011, 11:15
Either really. The logic is not pedantic: attention to detail and technical precision are essential skills if one is to be a competent software developer. One of the reasons I don't struggle to get work is because I have such skills.

Oh f**k off! :wink

Lockhouse
17th May 2011, 11:17
People might say they have 5 years experience but my money is on it being the same 6 months experience ten times over.

ctdctd
17th May 2011, 11:19
Oh f**k off! :wink

Nick 1 : MF nil - IMHO :wink

EternalOptimist
17th May 2011, 11:27
Nick 1 : MF nil - IMHO :wink

whs

DimPrawn
17th May 2011, 11:27

Does it help you date beautiful women?

doodab
17th May 2011, 11:35
Does it help you date beautiful women?

Dating beautiful women is like dating trees.

DimPrawn
17th May 2011, 11:40

You have to look at a lot of rings?

thunderlizard
17th May 2011, 11:41
"Years of experience" is the stupidest measure ever invented. I am embarrassed that my industry pays lip service to it. Even the "man month" makes more sense.

Spacecadet
17th May 2011, 11:42

You have to ruin them before you can find out what you really want to know?

DimPrawn
17th May 2011, 11:43
I have 5 years experience of Linux.

I used for 10 minutes in 2006 and it was shit and I used it for 5 minutes in 2011 and drew the same conclusion.

BlasterBates
17th May 2011, 11:43
JQuery has actually been around since early 2006, so you could actually have 5 years experience in it. Initial plugin was available around January 2006.

HTH

EternalOptimist
17th May 2011, 11:44

:eyes

when I was learning to be a developer, my mentor said to me
'now young EO, attention to detail and technical precision , and you can have any woman you please'

bastid never did tell me how to please them though

eek
17th May 2011, 11:45
People might say they have 5 years experience but my money is on it being the same 6 months experience ten times over.

But that's true of 99% of people and most technologies.

In this day and age you really need a very obscure problem for google not to give you the answer in 5 minutes.

Spacecadet
17th May 2011, 11:49

That would only hold true if they failed to learn and went through exactly the same hoops every time.

I've got about 3 years of SSIS. Every implementation has been an improvement on the previous and I'd say that I'm close to reaching the optimum design method

eek
17th May 2011, 12:10
That would only hold true if they failed to learn and went through exactly the same hoops every time.

I've got about 3 years of SSIS. Every implementation has been an improvement on the previous and I'd say that I'm close to reaching the optimum design method

But is that 3 years of experience unique to only SSIS or is it 3 years of SSIS and more general applied ETL knowledge.

In reality you have three years of ETL experience that you can apply to any system and enough SSIS to know how it really works. Given 6 months with another ETL system you could probably use it as well as you know SSIS.

russell
17th May 2011, 12:12
Should they have put 4years 9 months, they rounded up why the big fuss?

Spacecadet
17th May 2011, 12:12
But is that 3 years of experience unique to only SSIS or is it 3 years of SSIS and more general applied ETL knowledge.

In reality you have three years of ETL experience that you can apply to any system and enough SSIS to know how it really works. Given 6 months with another ETL system you could probably use it as well as you know SSIS.

I would accept that I would learn faster but a lot of the SSIS knowledge gained is specific SSIS knowledge.
I've over 6 years ETL experience

eek
17th May 2011, 12:36
I would accept that I would learn faster but a lot of the SSIS knowledge gained is specific SSIS knowledge.
I've over 6 years ETL experience

You could look at it another way and ask how often do you think "I never knew that?"

When you reach the point you don't think that on a weekly basis you either

1) probably know as much as anyone really needs to or
2) you are working on really tulippy projects.

Sysman
17th May 2011, 15:47
In this day and age you really need a very obscure problem for google not to give you the answer in 5 minutes.

Drawing a blank with Google is quite easy when you start learning a technology you haven't done before and don't know the crucial keywords ;)

And then there's Google data rot...

OwlHoot
17th May 2011, 15:53
Drawing a blank with Google is quite easy when you start learning a technology you haven't done before and don't know the crucial keywords ;)

and quite often there's the "blind leading the blind" syndrome, where some chimp has posted a sub-optimal, outdated, or plain wrong solution to an obscure problem.

But then I guess a moderate level of skill and experience should allow one to discern that.

Sysman
17th May 2011, 18:03
and quite often there's the "blind leading the blind" syndrome, where some chimp has posted a sub-optimal, outdated, or plain wrong solution to an obscure problem.

But then I guess a moderate level of skill and experience should allow one to discern that.

Oh yes. Then you get the Google noise from sites that have simply copied stuff from elsewhere. Same question, same dead end all over the place.

Example. Turn the startup sound off in Ubuntu. No I don't mean the sound after a successful login, but the one before that. There's a conversation out there where everyone gets hold of the wrong end of the stick and talks about actions after you have logged in.

I did find a solution, but gotta rush for my train now.

EternalOptimist
17th May 2011, 18:27
Yeah yeah yeah. google-sh1te,

I wanted to find out how to plank my front room, ended up falling to my death from a fckng balcony

MrMark
17th May 2011, 18:37

Experts-Exchange and Programming-Bulls. :mad

amcdonald
17th May 2011, 18:40
Experts-Exchange and Programming-Bulls. :mad

It was funnier when it was ExpertsExchange

Sysman
17th May 2011, 19:09
It was funnier when it was ExpertsExchange

We call 'em Sexperts for short.

Programming Bulls is just asking for IT to be added :D