• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh the Irony

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh the Irony

Contracting is an ironic and funny world.

Those of you who have read my previous threads about contracting in Manchester will already know that I have been trying to find a contract locally for over a year. Now I have just done 3 months at a place 1 hour 50 mins away door-door (though a pretty easy train commute) and got extended with working from home 1-2 days a week (currently doing 1 but can push for 2). Now I am finally comfortable in terms of the commute because I enjoy the train ride in first class and I have the flexibility I wanted.

In comes 2 interviews for places locally - 1 ridiculously close by like 3 mins drive and another 25 mins drive away. I know I like the place I am at because despite those two interviews I doubt very much I will accept either of them if I got the offer....

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    In comes 2 interviews for places locally - 1 ridiculously close by like 3 mins drive and another 25 mins drive away. I know I like the place I am at because despite those two interviews I doubt very much I will accept either of them if I got the offer....
    I call it "Sods Law".

The contracts where I've had the most fun in terms of working with people tend to be the more awkward ones to get to.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 17 May 2011, 14:46.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ironic indeed, but it always seems that is the way it works.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        Contracting is an ironic and funny world.

Those of you who have endured my previous threads about contracting in Manchester will already know that I have been trying to find a contract locally for over a year. Now I have just done 3 months at a place 1 hour 50 mins away door-door (though a pretty easy train commute) and got extended with working from home 1-2 days a week (currently doing 1 but can push for 2). Now I am finally comfortable in terms of the commute because I enjoy the train ride in first class and I have the flexibility I wanted.
        Ironic indeed
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I call it "Sods Law".

The contracts where I've had the most fun in terms of working with people tend to be the more awkward ones to get to.
          True, one of the best contracts I had for social life and a nice working atmosphere (the projects were interesting too) was on the Hampshire coast some 280 miles each way from home. The last contract I did in Leeds was bloody awful.
          Mind you 11 months working 90% from home was great.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Ironic indeed
            Nobody forced you to read them.

Comment

Working...
            X