• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supper

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supper

I often heard of my grandparents telling me about supper. It's a meal we don't seem to have any more.

Breakfast
    Lunch (Actually dinner)
    Tea (4ish, bit of cake and a cuppa)
    Supper (Cheese and crackers or a sarnie)

Does anyone still do supper in the evenings? If so, what do you have?
    And if we structured our meals in this way would we all biffer out or control our weight better? Aren't we told to eat little and often?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Working for the MoD years ago and living in the old officer's quarters catering was part of the deal. Breakfast, lunch, tea (or dinner), and supper at 8pm which was usually filled rolls.

I preferred skipping supper as I'd be in the pub at that time and hitting the chippie at closing time.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Working for the MoD years ago and living in the old officer's quarters catering was part of the deal. Breakfast, lunch, tea (or dinner), and supper at 8pm which was usually filled rolls.

I preferred skipping supper as I'd be in the pub at that time and hitting the chippie at closing time.
      luxury.

i do wonder about the op point though. I mean, if you have x calories spread evenly throughout the day,
      is that different from having one big (or two) meal ?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        luxury.

i do wonder about the op point though. I mean, if you have x calories spread evenly throughout the day,
        is that different from having one big (or two) meal ?

Actually large meals are a waste of calories. In anyone sitting the body can only convert so many grams of carb and so many grams of protein. Normally for a meal it is suggested that you have 30 grams of protein, 90 grams of carbs, which is 480 calories. If you go over that the body cannot convert quick enough and the excess turns to fat.

Add to that a daily intake of 20-30grams of fat(the minimum-ish) for the body 180-270 calories in theory you can eat six times a day to get your calorie intake.

Now if you stick to three meals of the following combination you will lose 3/4 lbs per week on a diet, but if you were a seven stone weakling (dependent on metabolism and assuming you're not ectomorphic) than a six day set could be in operation. So breakfast, brunch, lunch, mid day snack, dinner, supper would give you 3000 calories a day, maxed out for a work out and thus build muscle). For body builders, they take additional supplements that will break down additional carbs/proteins, so a 6000 calories a day diet is not unheard of.

So get the diet right. You can eat all day and it will be better for you.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Actually large meals are a waste of calories. In anyone sitting the body can only convert so many grams of carb and so many grams of protein. Normally for a meal it is suggested that you have 30 grams of protein, 90 grams of carbs, which is 480 calories. If you go over that the body cannot convert quick enough and the excess turns to fat.

Add to that a daily intake of 20-30grams of fat(the minimum-ish) for the body 180-270 calories in theory you can eat six times a day to get your calorie intake.

Now if you stick to three meals of the following combination you will lose 3/4 lbs per week on a diet, but if you were a seven stone weakling (dependent on metabolism and assuming you're not ectomorphic) than a six day set could be in operation. So breakfast, brunch, lunch, mid day snack, dinner, supper would give you 3000 calories a day, maxed out for a work out and thus build muscle). For body builders, they take additional supplements that will break down additional carbs/proteins, so a 6000 calories a day diet is not unheard of.

So get the diet right. You can eat all day and it will be better for you.

Whooosh --------->

quick MF . there goes the point
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            Whooosh --------->

quick MF . there goes the point
            You can include egg and bacon you know.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              You can include egg and bacon you know.
              whooooomb

watch out. its coming back over
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

We used to have tea at 5pm on the dot round the kitchen table.

Always a fry up and I seem to recall bulking up with a lot of sliced white bread & marg.

Traditional working class fayre & it never did us any harm.

Comment

Originally posted by jacquiw View Post
                  We used to have tea at 5pm on the dot round the kitchen table.

Always a fry up and I seem to recall bulking up with a lot of sliced white bread & marg.

Traditional working class fayre & it never did us any harm.
                  Same here, 22 stone is hard to get rid of though.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    Same here, 22 stone is hard to get rid of though.
                    It's hard to bear.

you work all your life to keep in shape, then some skinny, 22 stone, sixpack bellied bastid comes on here boasting

git

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X