PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon ideas

chef
18th May 2011, 08:03
Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE to travel, not particuarly the airport/plane part but the going away and being somewhere else part..

So, the time has come to start at least thinking about honeymoons, obviously gf chef has a major say in what and where but it got me thinking..

What did the esteemed colleagues of CUK do for their honeymoon(s)?

Answers on a postcard or preferably post a reply below..

alternatively, in order to not be prejudiced towards those that haven't yet got married (or in certain russian search engine developers case, hasn't yet realised that squirrel marraiges are illegal):

where would you like to go on honeymoon?

ChrisPackit
18th May 2011, 08:17
I went to a Sandals resort in the Caribbean and got married with a combined honeymoon. Both our families are ****ed up, so we decided to go it alone and tie the knot - My only issue was my 'best man' who I met 10 minutes before the wedding called Diego, who sold coconuts on the beach... :ohwell

MarillionFan
18th May 2011, 08:19
Week trekking in Nepal and then fly down to Thailand for a second week on a beach.

Pondlife
18th May 2011, 08:19
Maldives

There's nothing to do all day ;)

Except diving... we did a lot of diving.

norrahe
18th May 2011, 08:22
First time I went to Prague and since I won't be getting married for a second time I would like to go to the Antarctic.

ThomasSoerensen
18th May 2011, 08:23
Promised her we would go to Fiji.
I promised I would arrange it.

We then went to Benidorm.

chef
18th May 2011, 08:25
Promised her we would go to Fiji.
I promised I would arrange it.

We then went to Benidorm.

:laugh ummmm that's a bit of a difference

Durbs
18th May 2011, 08:26
We did Maldives, beautiful, would love to go back some day. Nothing to do bar swimming, diving, eating, drinking and making sweet luuurve :happy

If was going it again, i'd probably do twin-centre, couple of weeks in the Maldives and a week somewhere more lively.

DaveB
18th May 2011, 08:26
First time Paris. Not planning on doing it again but would like to do Italy as a touring Holiday, or Norway and the Arctic.

cailin maith
18th May 2011, 08:27
Maldives

First time round - a week in Sri Lanka (touring), a week in the Maldives and a week in Dubai.

Next time... not sure :D

ThomasSoerensen
18th May 2011, 08:28
:laugh ummmm that's a bit of a difference

Big difference.

400 EUR all in versus 7000 EUR all in.

I might not be stupid, but I am a tight git.

chef
18th May 2011, 08:32
I might not be stupid, but I am a tight git.

dad?

realityhack
18th May 2011, 08:37
The North-West side of Mauritius. Great beaches, 5 star all-inclusive, catamaran sailing, lazing about, popping down to Port Louis, drinking cocktails. Lush but it cost a fortune. And apparently, 35 degrees is their winter. :mad: <--- Sunburnt RH.

Old Greg
18th May 2011, 08:41
Kuala Lumpur then Borneo for us.

Have you considered locking her in the house for a week and then f***ing off to Munich? You could get a week's invoicing in that way.

Moose423956
18th May 2011, 08:41
Yugoslavia, just before the war. Spent some time in Dubrovnik, so it was sad to see it being bombed to hell on the news coverage.

If there is a next time, would like to do New York.

MaryPoppins
18th May 2011, 08:43
Have I missed something again - has she found the box Chef???

ThomasSoerensen
18th May 2011, 08:45
Kuala Lumpur then Borneo for us.

Have you considered locking her in the house for a week and then f***ing off to Munich? You could get a week's invoicing in that way.

The only proper contractor reply.

:laugh :laugh :laugh

ThomasSoerensen
18th May 2011, 08:45
Yugoslavia, just before the war. Spent some time in Dubrovnik, so it was sad to see it being bombed to hell on the news coverage.

If there is a next time, would like to do New York.

Why do you want to get New York bombed?

Paddy
18th May 2011, 08:52
Santiago de Cuba Hotels (http://www.cuba.tc/Santiago/CubaSantiagoHotels.html)

chef
18th May 2011, 08:52
Have I missed something again - has she found the box Chef???

not quite (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/66351-damn-box.html#post1323890)

MaryPoppins
18th May 2011, 08:54
not quite (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/66351-damn-box.html#post1323890)

Congratulations!!!!!

Moose423956
18th May 2011, 08:54
Why do you want to get New York bombed?

Good point. I don't think the Balkan conflict was my fault, though I did try to speak a bit of serbo-croat while we were there. Maybe I said something I shouldn't have.

SimonMac
18th May 2011, 08:55
Maldives

I dived all day and ran up a $5k bar bill at night :laugh

TimberWolf
18th May 2011, 08:56
Week trekking in Nepal and then fly down to Thailand for a second week on a beach.

So basically a camping holiday? :smokin

How about Bora Bora

http://www.threebestbeaches.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/bora-bora-from-air.jpg http://www.weddings-abroad.com/images/borabora_lemeridien_waterbungalow_01.jpg

No nicking my place:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLCNH5TGEDBVOFApwPKS_m8qD5tMbvF IsrvRhMRxkhSrDihxFh&t=1

EternalOptimist
18th May 2011, 09:03
We ran away to Gretna Green to get married, then spent a week in the west of Scotland.
It were grand

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaAGiF6jtBz0ir0ciewzw0Z0m3simBO 3jyuVG5ClUMCOeSL11-OQ

:rolleyes:

cailin maith
18th May 2011, 09:05
Congratulations!!!!!

WSS :banana:

alreadypacked
18th May 2011, 09:05
Is it just me, but Bora Bora looks like a Volcano crater.

Don't you like Chef.

doodab
18th May 2011, 09:12
I won't be getting married but if I did I think I would go somewhere quiet on my own. Bora Bora looks nice.

cailin maith
18th May 2011, 09:15
Is it just me, but Bora Bora looks like a Volcano crater.

Don't you like Chef.

I think it actually is a volcano.

Looks bliss though.

EternalOptimist
18th May 2011, 09:24
the hammock in the shade of the palms looks good

ThomasSoerensen
18th May 2011, 09:30
Is it only me who see it as a giant Goatse?

chef
18th May 2011, 09:35
hmm ideas so far include:

PARADISE ISLANDS
- French Polynesian Islands (i.e Bora Bora)
- Carribean (i.e British Virgin islands, St Barths)
- Indian Ocean (i.e Mauritius, Maldives, Seychelles)
- Yaeyama Islands, Japan's carribean

CULTURAL
- Zanzibar where Africa, India and Arabia meet in "a melting pot of culture"

ADVENTURE
- Madagascar for whales, lemurs, jungles, and quiet beaches
- Belize for some of the worlds best diving

doodab
18th May 2011, 09:37
Is it only me who see it as a giant Goatse?

I wish I hadn't googled that.

doodab
18th May 2011, 09:38

You could check out a few other places in Japan as well. The food is excellent :wink

ThomasSoerensen
18th May 2011, 09:40

PARADISE ISLANDS

CULTURAL

ADVENTURE

I hear that Antigua is also a great destination.

EternalOptimist
18th May 2011, 09:48

PARADISE ISLANDS

CULTURAL

ADVENTURE

Problem is chef, with those destinations, for the rest of your life, you will be hankering to go back. when you do, it wont be the same :(

So why not spend your honeymoon in Bootle ? hey presto , problem solved

alreadypacked
18th May 2011, 09:53
Problem is chef, with those destinations, for the rest of your life, you will be hankering to go back. when you do, it wont be the same :(

So why not spend your honeymoon in Bootle ? hey presto , problem solved

:rollin::rollin::rollin:

chef
18th May 2011, 09:54
anyone have any ideas for an African safari location whereby you aren't sat in a convoy of trucks stuffed full of american "ohh my gaaaaad" tourists hearded around like sheep?

Old Greg
18th May 2011, 09:56
anyone have any ideas for an African safari location whereby you aren't sat in a convoy of trucks stuffed full of american "ohh my gaaaaad" tourists hearded around like sheep?

Somalia?

Pondlife
18th May 2011, 09:56

We did Kenya, friends did Tanzania. Theirs looked better IMHO.

EternalOptimist
18th May 2011, 09:57

no, but I heard about 'railway carriage' holidays in Canada and the US. Basically they drop you off in the wilderness for a week, in a real bona fide railway caboose

realityhack
18th May 2011, 10:04
For a better class of safari excursions, see Rainbow Tours (http://www.rainbowtours.co.uk/). My dad booked with them and had a properly 5 star holiday around Africa. No gawping tourist hordes.

darmstadt
18th May 2011, 10:19
We've been looking at the marriage thing (well for nearly 20 years now actually) and its getting closer. So far the number 1 choice is to fly to Vegas with a load of friends, do the 'Hangover' thing followed by an Elvis wedding (her idea.) The honeymoon bit hasn't really been discussed much but the old man has a villa in Trinidad and Tobago so might use that for a week of naked frolicking :devil

b0redom
18th May 2011, 10:25
PARADISE ISLANDS

Tahiti (main island) is a tuliphole, and has black volcanic sand - not nice. Moorea 12 mins away, and Bora Bora are nice (if you're staying on Bora Bora go for a hotel on one of the atols. If you pick up a RTW ticket and are flying west, you can stop on Easter Island for a day/few days. That place is really mental.

Antigua is lovely - when I was there (March) there was a 50/50 split between Europeans and Canadian/North Americans though. It's way more developed than French Polynesia.

Seychelles is nice, but it's a bit isolated. In terms of development and such it's probably in between Moorea and Antigua.

CULTURAL

You will NOT want to stay in Stone Town for any period of time. It's nice to visit and see the market, but a bit stressy. I guess what I imagine Morocco to be like. Ras Nungwi is nice though.

ADVENTURE
Belize is fantastic, but again Belize City is a dump. Somewhere like Caye Caulker, Belize - Location and Map of Caye Caulker, Belize (http://www.gocayecaulker.com/loc.html) has lovely beaches, good food, and warm weather, and there's manatees. Very clear water too. Oh, and they deliver crates of cold beer by tractor if you call up the brewery. :happy

If diving is your bag you could also consider the Galapagos. Mr and the Mrs went on this boat:

Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.com.ec/)

and then stayed on the main island for a bit. This is where we did our PADI course too. The wild life has literally no fear. I was sitting in the shallows and a turtle bobbed past within a few centimeters of me. If you're out snorkelling seals will come and swim around you and blow bubbles at you etc....

Damn, want to quit and go traveling again!

chef
18th May 2011, 10:37
cheers boredom, lots of useful information, if you were to choose where would you go for Honeymoon given that you've travelled so much

b0redom
18th May 2011, 10:51
Depends on what you want to do? Feet up on a beach? Diving? City break? Bit of mix + match? and also how much time you're spending.

One year we did:

LHR-> LA (went to Disneyland, Beverly Hills, Walkway of the stars etc)
From LA we hired a convertable and drove to Vegas and spent a 3 or so nights being plastic fantasticed
Then we drove back to LA and got the 'plane down to French Polynesia for a couple of weeks and then flew back.

That was a pretty nice mix, although you could swap LA for Yosemite National Park depending on time of year - it's pretty awesome in spring with the waterfalls and bears waking up.

Doing it in reverse, so sitting on a beach for a couple of weeks, followed by transiting back through the US probably makes more sense though as you'll be stressed from the wedding I guess.

Lockhouse
18th May 2011, 11:01
I got married in Florence and spent two weeks in Tuscany on honeymoon.

chef
18th May 2011, 11:02
I have to ask, what do you do to afford so much free time to travel to such exotic locations?

sasguru
18th May 2011, 11:23
As an OP has noted, Tanzania is better for safaris than Kenya. This is because Kenya has the better infrastructure so attracts the wealthier Americans who you want to avoid.
I would base myself at a 5-star in Mombasa or Malindi, from that base you can arrange a safari in Tanzania and a visit to Zanzibar or a visit (by small plane) to Lake Turkana up north or to see the flamingoes at Lake Naivasha.

East Africa is highly recommended for honeymoon, if money is no object.

The alternative the Maldives/Seychelles route but if you're not into diving/watersports there's not much to do there. Depends if you like chilled hilidays or slightly more activity.

alreadypacked
18th May 2011, 11:37
You may need to take Dubai of the list.

British tourist faces year in Dubai jail after calling prophet Muhammad a 'terrorist' during heated row | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1388279/British-tourist-faces-year-Dubai-jail-calling-prophet-Muhammad-terrorist-heated-row.html)

chef
18th May 2011, 11:47
You may need to take Dubai of the list.

I've been to Dubai, far too Las Vegas feel about it for my taste, it would never be on my Honeymoon list

b0redom
18th May 2011, 14:43
I have to ask, what do you do to afford so much free time to travel to such exotic locations?

IT permie, then took an 18 month career break and travelled around a bit. Came back, found a contract, and the rest is history.

fullyautomatix
18th May 2011, 15:22
I went to Venice. Not that this piece of information is useful to you in any way.

DaveB
18th May 2011, 15:26
I went to Venice. Not that this piece of information is useful to you in any way.

MrsB and I went to Venice 2 years ago, and at the time agreed it's where we would have wanted to go on Honeymoon if we got married. But we've been there now, so we'd rather go elsewhere :o

amcdonald
18th May 2011, 15:48
You could save money by giving her 70% of your assets now and skip the honeymoon

doodab
18th May 2011, 15:49
You could always push the boat out a bit.

Welcome | Virgin Galactic (http://www.virgingalactic.com/)

Scrag Meister
18th May 2011, 15:50
Went to Hawaii for 2 weeks last year on honeymoon. Was glorious, consistent weather, lovely empty beaches.

We were based in Honolulu, easy enough to get out and about by bus or hire a car or motorbike. stayed on the one island, Oahu.

Only drawback was the flights taking about 15-16 hours including transfer at Vancouver, but then again Far east isn't much difference.

Halo Jones
18th May 2011, 15:52
Due to time constrains our wedding / honeymoon was at the Ice Hotel Sweden (I had exams to get back for) but given the choice for the traditional 2 week option either Hawaii or New Zealand (south island)

PRC1964
18th May 2011, 16:26
We did the Maldives and loved it, but then again I would happily spend most of my life underwater.

South America has a lot to offer, Argentina for HUUUUUUGE steaks and Buenos Aires., Chile for Torres del Paine, sea food and Easter Island (though it's a long way away). Peru for Machu Pichu which despite all the tourists is still worth a visit. Equador for volcanoes and for the Galapagos (where I would quite happily spend a long time). Brazil for the Amazon, the music and the beach babes :happy. Iguazu falls on the Agentina/Paraguay/Brazil borders is superb.

TestMangler
18th May 2011, 18:30
Two rohypnol, a bottle of Lambrini and a camcorder..........