• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can you work at the BBC outside IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you work at the BBC outside IR35?

Surely, being a regular presenter on the BBC means you are subject to direction and control and cannot send a substitute worker?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

This was raised a couple of years ago as most presenters at the BBC are contractors. I did a quick search and stuff like the link below came up from as far back as 2009

This was also mentioned on the forums before due to them being in the same situation as us but the PM gave some dispensation or agreement that made them different. I can't find the thread as BBC is too short to search on.

Something like this was always going to happen, you can't treat one group as different to another.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 24 May 2021, 21:42.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Isn't this basically the same thing that we are doing with our LTD's?

They tried, they failed and they are now facing a tax bill.

Non story IMO
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks, it seems to me they fail at least two of what have become the three key tests of substitution and D&C without a doubt. I mean, the 9 O'Clock news goes out when the BBC says and sits where the BBC says, not when/where the presenter decides. The presenter can't send in a subby either, surely?

Comment

Announcer: "I'm afraid Susanna Reid couldn't be with us today, but instead, here's the nine o'clock news with her friend Nigel the shelf stacker from Wood Lane's local Aldi"
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            The presenter can't send in a subby either, surely?
            I don't see why not. Obviously I'm biased, but I reckon I could source people who look decent in front of an autocue much more easily than C++/Sybase etc. programmers. They seem to swap around like nobody's business as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
              Announcer: "I'm afraid Susanna Reid couldn't be with us today, but instead, here's the nine o'clock news with her friend Nigel the shelf stacker from Wood Lane's local Aldi"

Comment

Thanks, it seems to me they fail at least two of what have become the three key tests of substitution and D&C without a doubt. I mean, the 9 O'Clock news goes out when the BBC says and sits where the BBC says, not when/where the presenter decides. The presenter can't send in a subby either, surely?
                AIUI the crucial question is whether you have to be there at a particular time because the work demands it, or just because the boss says so.
                Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                  AIUI the crucial question is whether you have to be there at a particular time because the work demands it, or just because the boss says so.
                  Surely they're IR35 caught? If I want to sit at home and do my work then I do so unless there are other compelling reasons why I go to the office. Can't do that reading the 9 O'Clock news on the BBC!

Comment

Surely they're IR35 caught? If I want to sit at home and do my work then I do so unless there are other compelling reasons why I go to the office. Can't do that reading the 9 O'Clock news on the BBC!
                    I dunno though. If your contract is to present the 9 O Clock news you are just fulfilling your role. And the fact they can't substitute isn't because they are not allowed to. Most substitutions say with a reasonably qualified person able to complete the role. There cannot be too many news readers around and short notice. Isn't the fact they can't substitute due to lack of resource to meet client requirements different to they are not allowed to substitute at all?

I think this is a pretty complicated one.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X