• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you expect & get from your accountant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you expect & get from your accountant?

Is 1000-1200 + VAT per year a fair price for my accounts?

I understand the accountants have to make a living for themselves, I'm trying to visualise why the accounts costs are what they are and what the do to justify ~100 per month.

In my case as a contractor, I have 12 invoices for the year and I claim for VAT and very few business expenses. So the accountant receives this paperwork from me.

The accountant does my payroll, VAT and yearly accounts. (Self assessment was extra at £180)

Am I paying too much?

I dont get any financial/tax planning advice, pension advice etc. Should I expect this from my accountant?
    Is he simply doing as he is told or is he himself just doing the minimum?
    Should he be more proactive?
    Should I be more proactive (problem being I dont know the questions to ask, except for reduce my tax and increase my £££'s which is what I expect an accountant to assist with anyway)

What do you get for your fee?

I think I am lucky in that I have a book-keeper to sort invoices/reciepts etc, who is also quite intelligent and provides good general accountancy advice. His fee is £40/pm which includes home visits every couple of months as he is local, VAT, payroll, etc. I paid him £20 for P35 and £80 for the other P-thingy (self-assesment?). Generally it saves me having any hassle at all.

Then end of yer accounts are done by his mate, the accountant, at around £650+VAT. Also based locally and available for advice, which I've had reason to call upon recently for another business - and was gratis. He also adds onto the expenses the other things that I should be claiming for, like a portion of house etc, as accountants should.

I could possily get it cheaper but I like the ease and personal touch provided.

Comment

I have an accountant who just does the Company Tax Return for me and gives email support to tax related questions. I do all book-keeping, Payroll P35, VAT etc. I pay about £800 a year (no VAT).

Comment

Working...
      X