• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Those nice tolerant Muslims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those nice tolerant Muslims

From the BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4831426.stm

This Muslim chap converted to Christianity
    Under Sharia law he faces the death penalty.

The Koran states that any Muslim who "strays and refuses to return to the path" faces death, as do non Muslims who refuse to accept the faith.

Why are we still hearing our great and good telling us how Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance.

Are there any Muslims on this board?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

I think it's just a religion thing. Look at Chico - he professes to be a peace loving Christian yet has been observed calling for people to be killed for some reason or another.
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
      From the BBC. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4831426.stm

This Muslim chap converted to Christianity
      Under Sharia law he faces the death penalty.

The Koran states that any Muslim who "strays and refuses to return to the path" faces death, as do non Muslims who refuse to accept the faith.

Why are we still hearing our great and good telling us how Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance.

Are there any Muslims on this board?
      Not me. My religion is "Why the hell is religion so sacred?"

But I'm reading Menocal, Ornament of the World, about the tolerant Muslim-Christian-Jewish culture of the Muslims in Spain 8th cent CE - 1492, and it's fascinating. And sad that "there are no Muslin Andalucians visible anywhere in the world today".

I wonder why that is?

Comment

Originally posted by expat
        But I'm reading Menocal, Ornament of the World, about the tolerant Muslim-Christian-Jewish culture of the Muslims in Spain 8th cent CE - 1492, and it's fascinating.
        I would characterise that book as pretty bad history. I think it should really be placed in the section of romantic fiction.

Originally posted by expat
        And sad that "there are no Muslin Andalucians visible anywhere in the world today". I wonder why that is?
        There never was that many, and when a group of fundamentalists got in charge it collapsed within about 3 years.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          I would characterise that book as pretty bad history. I think it should really be placed in the section of romantic fiction.
          I know that, that's what I bought it for . But it is true that much of the Cordoba Caliphate's culture was tolerant, even when their individual behaviour was as mediaeval as anyone else's. Now the reverse seems to be true: many muslims are decent tolerant people but when they reach for their culture it is one of fatwas and death-to-everybody-else.
          There never was that many, and when a group of fundamentalists got in charge it collapsed within about 3 years.
          La Reconquista took a little bit longer than that. And was accompanied by the rise of Christian culture, in the form of the Spanish Inquisition.

Comment

I don't think it has a whole lot to do with the religion but rather with the wingnuts that put their own twisted interpretations on the 'teachings'. Maybe people who do not follow Islam will face death but I am fairly sure the intention of the teaching was not to give carte blanche to any axe wielding homicidal maniac who fancied a bit of a spree. Religion itself I have no problem with but religion in the hands of an uneducated hysterical mass is just asking for trouble

Comment

Disagree about al-andalus. The head treasurer during one of the caliph's reign was jewish. Arabs where given the choice during the reconquista convert or die. Those who converted where called 'moriscos'.

just to say agree with Expat not with Threaded
              Last edited by Antman; 22 March 2006, 08:51. Reason: late in posting

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt
                twisted interpretations on the 'teachings'
                I have read the Koran and researched much of the traditions.
                This is not about "interpretation". The Koran says a whole host of people must die. As it is the word of God it can not be interpreted (that would carry a death sentence too) and must be obeyed.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Antman
                  Disagree about al-andalus. The head treasurer during one of the caliph's reign was jewish.
                  Maybe we should have one of those?

Edit: I mean a Jewish Chancellor of the Exchequer. Not a Caliph's reign.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                    I have read the Koran and researched much of the traditions.
                    This is not about "interpretation". The Koran says a whole host of people must die. As it is the word of God it can not be interpreted (that would carry a death sentence too) and must be obeyed.
                    I bow to your superior knowledge LG - now where can I buy a bomb proof hat?

Comment

Working...
                    X