PDA

View Full Version : Pound to fall

TimberWolf
18th May 2011, 21:28
The pound should fall as Bank of England hawks lose influence, analysts suggest.
Hard Times For Pound as Hawks Leave the Nest - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703509104576330951049619550.html)

If only the government could find some way of persuading people to keep their money in Sterling for a derisory interest rate (negative in real unfiddled terms likely) and locked in for 5 years.

AtW
19th May 2011, 00:06
That should help exports...

scooterscot
19th May 2011, 06:12
With any luck the euro will rise at the same time :tongue

DimPrawn
19th May 2011, 07:20
Pound has fallen 25%.

I had four pound coins in my pocket this morning, now I've only got three. I suspect one fell sharply due to votalility in my trousers.

Either that or some dirty spekulant was looking at my big shorts.

:mad

Sysman
19th May 2011, 09:19
Pound has fallen 25%.

I had four pound coins in my pocket this morning, now I've only got three. I suspect one fell sharply due to votalility in my trousers.

Either that or some dirty spekulant was looking at my big shorts.

That was Thatcher's problem with Sterling. Because she never carried money herself, she lost touch with what it was worth.

d000hg
19th May 2011, 09:23
That was Thatcher's problem with Sterling. Because she never carried money herself, she lost touch with what it was worth.Only plebs carry cash.

DimPrawn
19th May 2011, 09:34
Only plebs carry cash.

Indeed. I carry gold, but fook me it's heavy.

Gold could rise as far as $12,000 (http://www.moneyweek.com/news-and-charts/people-in-the-news/guru-watch/gold-at-usd12000-says-robin-griffiths-11920)

Boomed!

Sysman
19th May 2011, 10:19
Only plebs carry cash.

The brainwashing is working as planned :D

TimberWolf
19th May 2011, 13:12
Median age for all existing currencies in circulation is 39 years
British pound sterling and the United States dollar are considered to be the most successful paper currencies of all time:
...GBP has lost 98.8% of its value since 1560 measured against silver - " the British Pound originally represented one troy pound of sterling silver"
...USD has lost 97.8% of its value since 1792 measured against gold - " the dollar was pegged at 24.75 grains of gold"

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/2009/Jan/British_Pound.jpg

"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - zero." (Voltaire, 1694-1778)

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article8100.html

scooterscot
19th May 2011, 14:13
So the euro has just begun in life - buy now i tell you!!

KentPhilip
19th May 2011, 14:50
If only the government could find some way of persuading people to keep their money in Sterling for a derisory interest rate (negative in real unfiddled terms likely) and locked in for 5 years.

By which I presume you are referring to the re-introduction of NS&I indexed linked certificates last week.

Yep I think you're probably right. Far better to stick all your money into the far east.

Do I get "best answer"?

(oops wrong website)

AtW
19th May 2011, 14:54
By which I presume you are referring to the re-introduction of NS&I indexed linked certificates last week.

:laugh

Most people don't have any savings worth talking about because sadly disposable incomes were very low and now falling and much of the "wealth" was based on borrowing cheap debt against ever raising house prices.

So with a £15k cap on NS&I they will never attract enough money from people who have billions in savings - and they did not even plan on it, this is just a side show designed to demonstrate that they are doing "something" for savers instead of just getting interest rates where they should have been: 7-10%.

Jog On
19th May 2011, 15:20
I'm long EUR/GBP from 0.8810

Old Greg
19th May 2011, 15:33
I'm long EUR/GBP from 0.8810

Does that mean you haven't changed your holiday money back. Or is it the other way round?

doodab
19th May 2011, 16:45
I'm just about to trade in some euros and go long on beer. You've got to speculate to accumulate.

AtW
19th May 2011, 16:46
You've got to speculate to accumulate.

:mad

Sysman
19th May 2011, 17:47
So the euro has just begun in life - buy now i tell you!!

Aye, but looking at the graph, don't hang onto it for longer than 50 years:

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/2009/Jan/British_Pound.jpg

AtW
19th May 2011, 17:50
Aye, but looking at the graph, don't hang onto it for longer than 50 years:

You mean 50 years after World War?

Sysman
19th May 2011, 17:57

Yep I think you're probably right. Far better to stick all your money into the far east.

Do I get "best answer"?

(oops wrong website)

Today I bumped into an old mate who is now in Asia. He reckons the place is doing fabulously well and everybody is shopping until they drop.

Hmm. Sounds a bit reminiscent of The West before the crash. Hope it doesn't end in tears.

lilelvis2000
19th May 2011, 18:12
Sysman
Originally Posted by KentPhilip

Do I get "best answer"?

(oops wrong website)
Today I bumped into an old mate who is now in Asia. He reckons the place is doing fabulously well and everybody is shopping until they drop.

Hmm. Sounds a bit reminiscent of The West before the crash. Hope it doesn't end in tears.

Sounds like my wife right now. :frown