• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finally, common sense prevails!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, common sense prevails!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4832072.stm

A school which was told it unlawfully excluded a Muslim pupil for wearing a traditional gown has won its appeal at the House of Lords.
    The Court of Appeal had said Denbigh High School had denied Shabina Begum the right to manifest her religion in refusing to allow her to wear a jilbab.

But in a unanimous ruling, judges at the House of Lords overturned that.

They said the school had "taken immense pains to devise a uniform policy which respected Muslim beliefs".

It had done so "in an inclusive, unthreatening and uncompetitive way".

etc.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Such a pitty that common sense decisions like this arent the norm instead of the exception!

Anyone know what Cherie Blairs cut of the profits was from the appeal?

Mailman

Comment

Cherie's cut

Probably enough to pay a month or two of mortgage - poor lamb!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
        It had done so "in an inclusive, unthreatening and uncompetitive way"
        Thus the dismal state of Britains education system.

"When I were a lad", you had to be exclusive, threatening and very competitive at all times, in order to be 'cool'.

The NL Nanny State is turning out a generation that are either milksops or homicidal maniacs.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Common Sense

At what cost?
          Read the details of the case.
          This little ******* ***** ought to be sued into the ground for wasting taxpayers money. Viva la France (err, but only in regard to religious symbols)
          Why not?

Comment

"She would consult her lawyers about a potential appeal to the European Courts, she said. "

Oh GOD!! -- oops. I mean What the !!!!

She also doesn't know what proper attire is for muslim women. Probably brainwashed by the illiterate mullah at the local maddrasa.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I was watching that program the other week about Iran and was rather impressed (given the expectations I started with that is) . Female ministers, with headscarves, but none of that Burka crap. Some of the people we have been lumbered with in our society are more extreme than in the archetypal extreme Muslim country.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
                "She would consult her lawyers about a potential appeal to the European Courts, she said. "

Oh GOD!! -- oops. I mean What the !!!!

She also doesn't know what proper attire is for muslim women. Probably brainwashed by the illiterate mullah at the local maddrasa.
                She is just a pawn. I wonder what the Muslim council of Britain have to say about the case ?
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                X